Chameleon

We all met up in the Academy's gym. A large room with ropes and climbing frames making a mini assault course at one end, while at the other end was a small boxing ring.

They have a pretty cool setup...

Along with the four Supers we had already met, there were several others as we waited for the Professor.

I noticed one guy in a green costume who seemed to have an identical, albeit smaller man sitting cross legged on his shoulder, a woman in silver suit who suddenly disappeared as I walked past her, followed by Michael and Victoria. Callum had stayed behind with the Professor so that tests could get started.

I caught the guy with the misty white eyes watching me closely. What the fuck was his problem? We were all in the same boat here.

He looked like he was about to say something but then decided against it, instead turning to whisper in the ear of my doppelganger - Jasper.

Yeah, here I was an nearly immortal vampire, I had seen a lot more shit in my lifetime than most people had even heard of, and yet I couldn't get over this guy being me but... clearly not.

All I could think was how much I would kill for a glass of blood right about now. The itch at the back of my throat was starting to get uncomfortable. I would need to drink soon.

But, first we had to come up with a plan of action to deal with Will Jackson and his little cult if they were here hiding out. Part of me hoped that they were... they needed to pay for the pain they had caused.

The Professor finally wheeled himself in, followed by Falcon, whose wings seemed even more agitated than before.

"Okay, as you are all aware, earlier today a portal was opened in Central Square. It was a gateway between universes. Speed was returned to us, along with three visitors from the other side," the Professor said, looking around at each of us. I could feel the stares of the other Supers burning into the back of my neck.
My eyes flicked to the side, trying to ignore the stares.

I didn't blame them for being curious. I mean, here we were standing in a room full of adults who were all kitted out in masks, capes and bloody tight costumes and I couldn't help but be intrigued by that. If those things didn't scream out that these people had some serious issues... then I don't know what the hell did.

"They have informed us that the apocalypse has begun in their universe, and that the people responsible may have travelled through to this realm."

I stood forward "These are not 'people'," I growled, feeling everyone stare at me "They are monsters," I said, taking deep breaths, trying to keep myself calm "They have caused so much pain. If they did come through there will be three of them. Will Jackson, he's a vampire like myself, Dorian Gray and a powerful magician who calls himself 'M'."

Falcon scoffed, "What kind of joke is this?" he asked.

There wasn't any point in getting angry at him, the last thing we needed was me losing control.

I can't let him get under my skin like that...

But I also really wanted to rip off of his face. I tried to get a read on his thoughts, blocking everything else out... but there was nothing. Silence. Huh. That was fucking weird. Either my power to read minds was gone or he was blocking my efforts somehow.

"Enough!" The Professor shouted. Everyone stopped talking, "We have been living under a threat here for some time. Morpheus and his followers have caused friction in our ranks. This new threat must see us work together with our new acquaintances to save their world as well as this one. These villains are unlike anything we have faced, but, they haven't faced anything like us either. We cannot allow ourselves to become complacent with such a threat looming above us; I ask you to trust me when I say we must fight against those who threaten our way of life. Are we agreed?"

I looked around as everyone nodded and I felt a swell of pride in my chest. They really believed in us. Well, maybe not all of them. I could see the scowl on Falcon's face even through his mask.

What the fuck was his problem?

I didn't know, but, I suddenly heard a familiar voice behind me as the meeting began to disperse. My own voice. I turned to see Jasper standing there, one hand extended to me, his mask held in the other. His eyes a bright blue, just like mine had been before...

"It is good to meet you, well, me." he said with a smile. I reached to shake his hand. He looked at me oddly for a second, but let go.

"Likewise," I replied "I'm Kian."

"I'm Jasper, but then you already knew that," Jasper laughed awkwardly.

"So, uh, what's your power?" I asked him, looking again at his green scaled suit.

"I, uh, can blend into my surroundings like..."

"Like a chameleon," I finished, realising where he had got his Super name.

"Do you want to see it?" Jasper asked.

"See what?"

Turning around Victoria and Michael joined us, both looking around nervously at the masked group around them.

"Well, I was just... going to show Kian my powers," Jasper replied.

Michael looked confused, but Victoria nodded along. She still seemed wary of Jasper, and I didn't blame her. He might look like me, but we were not the same.

After a moment Jasper held out his hand and closed his eyes, and I watched as the skin slowly seemed to melt the bubble, turning opaque until it blended in with the hard wooden floor.

Oh, that was bloody cool...

He then opened his eyes and his hand turned back to normal.

"That's pretty impressive," I said, smiling as he put away his mask "How long can you hold that?"

Jasper laughed nervously and rubbed his neck "Um, I don't know. I've never really had to try for longer than a few minutes. I should probably practice, shouldn't I?"

"Yes, you absolutely should," Victoria agreed "Practice makes perfect."

Jasper smiled back at her before turning his attention to Michael "Your the angel, right?"

"I am Michael, the Archangel, yes," Michael replied.

"Cool. Uh, listen guys, I really gotta go find that professor and check in. I'll catch you later," Jasper said, before leaving.

When he had disappeared into the crowd, Victoria looked at me "You're lucky you two are cute," she stated "Because I don't trust him at all."

"Neither do I," I admitted "And, something tells me that they don't trust us either. They're willing to fight for their world, but they're not helping us out of the goodness of their hearts, it's just to save their skins."

"I agree, they seem too eager to throw their lives away for people they don't even know," Michael chimed in.

Victoria sighed "Well, we can only wait and see," she said, shrugging "For now, we have to focus on getting through this and finding a way back to our universe. The longer we stay here, the more dangerous it is."

I nodded, looking over at the Professor. He seemed quite pleased with the way things worked out. He looked so calm as he sat in his wheelchair, talking to Falcon and Jasper. As they left him I knew that now was our opportunity "I'm going to see what Professor can tell us about this world. We need some answers, and I intend on getting them."