The Hall Of Heroes

"Hey, Professor?" I said, catching up with him just as he was going to wheel himself away.

"Ah, Kian, what did you think? I thought it went over quite well." the Professor smiled.

Yeah, it went over well...

"Your people are on our side, all I can say is thank you," I replied "Look, we don't really know how this all works... superpowers and costumes. It's a lot to take in."

"Says the vampire," Professor Turnscrew replied "How old are you really? If you don't mind me asking that is."

Huh, it's been so long since I'd thought about my age...

"I'm a hundred and fifty four," I replied "I was born in 1868."

"Hmm, so you've got more life experience than anybody in this room, except for myself," the Professor replied "My power, or more my curse, is that of time travel. The ability enables me to see the past, but, also the future," The Professor then turned to face me directly, a frown on his features as if something were troubling him "If I may be frank, I have seen what's to come. The apocalypse that will ravage the multiverse."

Well, that's fucking encouraging...

"You've seen us lose?" I asked, a shiver going up my spine.

The Professor nodded his head solemnly "Yes, but I do not believe any of our fates are set in stone. I travelled forward and saw this day play out when I was much younger, before I was in this dammed chair. When you arrived then there was an extra person with you, one who looked like young Callum."

We all made it...

"Alec," I said feeling my heart beating faster "He was with us?"

"He was," the Professor replied "Time is not static dear boy, it bends and melds to what it needs to be. Something intervened and changed the way things happened, meaning that your Alec never made it to this universe."

Lilith. It had to be. Why else would she have intervened, she changed the original timeline... but, why?

"He, uh, sacrificed himself so that we could open the portal here," I explained "Lilith, the mother of demons, she came and intervened. She changed the outcome."

"Perhaps this will allow us to stop the apocalypse," Turnscrew mused "I can't say for sure, but perhaps this small change in events will be enough to tip the scales in our favour."

"Alec is not some fucking blip to be discarded like garbage!" I growled "If he knew what was going to happen he wouldn't sacrifice himself like that!"

"Wouldn't he?" the Professor smiled sadly "Because, it sounds to me like he was a hero, and heroes make the sacrifice no matter the harm to themselves."

Fuck. He was right, of course he bloody was! Alec would still choose to be sacrificed, especially if he knew that it was the difference between stopping Lucifer and saving both worlds.

He was the hero.

"It is getting late," the Professor said after a moment of silence "Why don't you and your friends head to the dormitories? There are empty bunks available in 'C' block. Jasper can show you the way."

And with that, the Professor wheeled himself away, after a moment Michael and Victoria joined me at his side.

"What do we do now?" Victoria asked quietly.

"I need a drink," I grumbled "But, I don't think they cater to my needs here. The Professor said we could stay in the dormitories tonight."

"Well, that's something I guess," Victoria said "It'll be nice to get some rest..."

"Well, the dormitories aren't built for comfort, but they are a place to put your heads down," A familiar voice said from behind us.

I turned to see Jasper standing there, a nervous smile on his face. My face. Yeah, I was still going to have to get used to that feeling.

"I'll show you guys to 'C' block," it's not too far from here," he continued "This building kinda has a mind of it's own, and you can get easily lost ."

Well, that sounded ominous...

"Sounds... interesting," Michael spoke up, looking somewhat skeptical "A sentient building, huh?"

Fuck. This place was getting creepier by the minute.

"Oh, it's not as interesting as the people, trust me," Jasper chuckled, then proceeded to walk ahead of us through the crowd leaving us to follow him.

We managed to catch up to Jasper, just as he reached the door out of the gym.

I watched as he pressed the button on a small keypad beside the door; when he opened the door it led into a completely different corridor than the one we had used to enter the gym earlier. As we followed Jasper through the door, the open space it led to was at least three floors up, where the gym was definitely located on the ground floor.

This really was fucking weird... it just made no sense!

"Welcome to 'C' block," Jasper started as he carried on walking "Lights!" he called out to nobody in particular

At the sound of his voice the hallway lit up revealing several glass display cabinets running the length of the corridor, intersected by several doors along the way. Inside each cabinet was a full super suit sat on a mannequin with a plaque at the front detailing who they belonged to.

Jasper walked straight to the closest case without hesitation where the mannequin sported a green scaled suit that matched the one that Jasper was wearing.

"Here's mine," he said proudly "Every official Super gets a Suit put here in the Hall Of Heroes. They're custom made for everyone who joins."

"They look pretty cool, though," I said bending down to read the name plaque:

Chameleon

Real Name: Jasper Martin Cole
Powers: Blending to surroundings
Age: 19

Jasper was educated at Turnscrew's Academy for Super Heroes and joined the Supers of Pleasantville aged 17.

His alias is Chameleon. A name he chose to suit his ability to blend to any environment, like the reptile with which he shares his name.

"It's kind of funny when I think about it," Jasper said, continuing to stare at his Suit with a sad look in his eye.

"How do you mean?" Victoria asked.

"Turnscrew always told us as kids that the only way to truly be a superhero is to give up everything... I think I'm starting to get what he meant," he looked up as footsteps could be heard coming towards us from the other end of the corridor "Let's keep going, eh? The dormitories are not much further up here, we just need to turn left when we get to Eagle's case."

We continued onwards until we finally reached Eagle's case; we must have passed at least twenty cases, each one with a Super Suit inside. Eagle's costume was all red, white and blue with large white wings protruding from it's back.

Then we turned left and headed down another, smaller corridor until we suddenly stopped outside a wooden door marked with a brass number five that hung in the middle. Jasper knocked twice on the door, and then it swung slowly open.

The room inside was pretty comfortable and spacious with two bunk beds  lining either side and a wardrobe against the wall opposite the door. In the centre of the room was a multi colored rug that offset the grey walls.

"It's not exactly five star, but you're welcome to use anything you like in here," Jasper stated, pointing at a couple of chairs and tables "Just let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks Jasper, we appreciate that," I replied.

"Well, Heaven it isn't, but we will make do with what we have," Michael added, eying the rainbow rug like it personally offended him. Honestly, I had no idea that angels were into interior design.

"I'll, uh, let you get your heads down," Jasper replied "I'm only in the room opposite if you need me."

And with that Jasper left the room, and closed the door behind him leaving the three of us alone.