Frozen

It took a good fifteen minutes before light shone in from above us as the elevator made its way upwards.

My heart started to pound as the room we were heading into came into view. The comfortable looking brown leather sofa, smoothed down walls reflecting the green flames that crackled in the fireplace. The mismated ornaments and paintings. The elevator had taken us to exactly where we wanted to be: The Brown House.

How the fuck had that happened?

The elevator came to a stop and the doors hissed open. Immediately the strong smell of sulfur hit my nose making me want to gag.

"That's not good," Kian said looking concerned as we all stepped out. Kian headed for the door that led to the hallway and pulled it open.

The scene was not good. The vintage carpet had massive burn marks all over it like someone had gone around trying to blast holes in the floor and there were long horizontal scratches along the walls.

"Fuck," Kian said as he led the way, "We should have come here first."

It wasn't looking good. All the doors were open, burn marks on the wood, and the rooms inside all destroyed just as much as the hallway.

"Yeah, it seems your witch has been trying some DIY." Belph said.

We carried on up the hallway until I spotted the only door so far that was shut and seemed to be untouched: The Library.

"Kian," I said pointing the door out, "Look."

He nodded, his expression unreadable. As the three of us walked up to the door it swung open.

The Library was the same as when we ledt. The polished wooden tables and ceiling high stacks were all as I remembered them, but the room was not empty.

Sitting at three of the tables, all next to each other was Mona, Harry Jekyll and my Mum. None of them were moving, but thankfully they all looked unharmed, but Victoria was nowhere to be seen.

I ran forward to my Mum. She wasn't even blinking, it was like she was just frozen in time. Kian and Belph were checking Mona and Harry, but they were all the same.

What the bloody hell had Victoria done to them?

"This is freaky," Kian said as he waved a hand in front of Harry Jekyll's face.

"She's frozen them," Belph said, "Completely frozen them."

"She's been corrupted," I said, "Victoria would never do this."

Belph shook his head, "We don't know what she's capable of."

I turned my attention back to my Mum, her eyes still staring blankly ahead.

"Mum," I said. Still no response. I gently grabbed her shoulders and turned her towards me.

Her eyes were wide open now but they weren't focusing on anything. Her skin was icy cold to the touch as though she'd been in here for hours. Even worse, I could feel an aura of darkness surrounding her. The dark magic that had consumed Victoria was still in the air.

"Fuck," I whispered as my Mum began to shiver. "Kian!"

Kian was at my side immediately. He lifted my Mum into his arms and placed her gently on the table. Her breathing was suddenly coming in short gasps.

"Mum!" I shouted, "What the fuck is happening?"

"I don't know," Kian said as he examined her. I looked to see that Mona and Harry were both exactly as they were.

I placed a hand on my Mum's forehead and it was cold.

"She's freezing." I said.

But, it wasn't cold in the room. The Library was incredibly warm.

"It's the witch," Belph said as he looked around, "She's here somewhere."

Suddenly a flurry of black smoke flew in through the door, closing them as it circled around us.

"Victoria!" I shouted, not sure if it would do any good.

The smoke floated down in front of us into the smiling form of Victoria. She a long black leather coat over a matching suit. Her black eyes glinted, but there was no warmth in them.

"Victoria, stop this!"

Without saying a word she raised a hand and my Mum immediately stopped shivering.

"Alec, good to see you alive." Victoria said, "How was Hell?"

"Victoria, what are you doing?" Kian asked, "Look, we should never have let you cast that spell..."

"Why not, Kian?" she asked, "It set me free from how I used to think. And, you; a demon in the body of Jonathan Cayhill. You must be who I dragged up from Hell." she said looking at Belph.

"We don't really know each other," Belph said, "But honestly love, you need to calm down."

Victoria laughed then, but it was harsh and false. Damn it. We weren't getting through to her.

"Calm down?" she laughed, "Oh, trust me demon, I am very calm."

"This isn't you, Vic," I said, "You are a good person."

"Being good got old, Alec," Victoria said then, turning her black eyes onto me, "It got boring. You can be the best person possible and yet still loose in the end."

"Victoria, listen to yourself..." Kian started, but he never finished as with a wave of her hand Victoria sent him flying across the room into one of the stacks at the far end.

I shouted as he disappeared under an avalanche of books as they rained down on top of him.

Oh shit... Kian.

"Kian!" I shouted and started running to him but Victoria held me away with another flick of her fingers.

Something hard slamed into my stomach sending me careening backwards over one of the tables before rolling onto the floor. My vision swam and my chest ached.

Crap... That was going to leave a bruise.

I looked to see a large book laying half open on the floor next to me. Scrambling to pick it up, ignoring the ache that stabbed through my middle, I stood up.

"Come on, Vic," I said taking a few steps forward, "You're better than this."

Victoria watched me with amusement in her eyes, but she didn't move.

"Please," I said, "We can work this out..."

"She's not going to listen!" Belph shouted as he headed for her, "If she wants to play this game, that's fine, I'll play too!"

Victoria smiled evilly then, "No you won't."

Before I knew it, she was right in front of him with her hand wrapped around his throat pinning him against the wall.

"No!" I yelled launching myself at her. But my movement caught in her attention and I felt myself being thrown to the ground.

My head struck the ground with a loud thud causing my vision to go blurry before everything went black.