Chapter 1 - Memorial Ceremony

Multiple years passed by. Some beans stayed on an entrance near the medical station from the space station Wildwhirl. Even Lord Pitch was there. Everyone looked saddened. They were really worried about something. Captain Pitch didn't show it like the others, but secretly he was worried as well.

"Captain, you are allowed to visit him. He seems in stable condition for now." One of the doctors said quietly after they walked to the door. The black bean gave a short nod and slowly went in. The door closed behind him. No one else was there. Only him and Admiral Corentin, who was lying in the medical bed. His visor was closed, his breathing seemed to be calm and slow. With heavy steps, the black captain stepped closer to him. Corentin heard his steps and slowly looked over to see him. In the background was a machine that made a tactical peep sound. It was recording Corentin's heartbeat. Looking at it, Pitch could see that his heartbeat was slower.

"There you are, Pitch." The green admiral was happy to see him. He sounded very tired. "Just look at you. You've grown so much."

The captain became concerned as Corentin suddenly coughed after he made that compliment. Pitch didn't really know how to answer back. He was secretly overwhelmed, but he didn't want to show it in front of the old admiral. A while flew by before Pitch found the right words.

"I thought I'd check on you," he replied and went quiet after Corentin coughed once again.

"That's very caring of you. Thank you, Pitch." The admiral was indeed grateful that Pitch decided to check on him. Over the past few years since Captain Pitch came back, he took a lot of care for the black bean. The green bean was aware that Pitch was not young anymore. But his past instincts increased over time and he couldn't help but to take care of Pitch anyway. Memories came flooding back into Corentin's mind. Past missions he shared with Pitch.

"Do you remember our first mission right after you came back to us?" The admiral asked and the black captain was wondering why he asked the question.

"I do remember it." Captain Pitch answered.

"To rebuild the Blackcrow was something very exciting. And I could sense that not just me felt that way. I'm proud that you are back, Pitch. I'm happy to have you around." The long sentence was too exhausting for the old admiral. He ended up coughing badly. It didn't seem to stop and Captain Pitch became worried and concerned in silence. There was a controller with several buttons near the admiral. Pitch grabbed it and activated one of them. While the admiral continued coughing, a few doctors ran towards him to help.

Captain Pitch stepped aside to make room. They all surrounded the bed. As they took care of Corentin, Pitch saw on the monitor how his heartbeat increased wildly. Until it flatlined. Admiral Corentin was dead.

No bean could believe what happened. Even the doctors had to hold back tears. Their admiral died. Guilt arose in some of the doctors because they couldn't help him to stay alive. Corentin died because of his old age. No one should feel guilty over it but some did anyway. For Pitch, it was way too fast. He couldn't believe what he just witnessed. He stepped again a few steps away to clear his mind. There was no sadness seen in his visor but secretly he was. One of the doctors demanded Pitch to leave the medical station. Another one even accused him of killing the admiral on purpose. Which was Pitch's limit and he snorted at the doctor who accused him. Not everyone seemed to trust Pitch at all. Even after years since he came back to prove that he could change. Some still saw him as a cruel impostor. Obviously, Pitch never showed it publicly but it was hurting him in silence that those trust issues were still a thing for some.

He left the medical station and went straight to Hawk and Moon. They should know first what happened to Corentin. He met the pair in front of their room. Starla was with them too. As Pitch stood behind them, Starla notified her parents that Captain Pitch was there. They turned around and realized instantly that something bad happened.