Chapter 15 - Familiar Voices

Captain Hawk was shocked to hear that Cain died. He was mourning the sudden death in silence; Shepp, as well as Bane and Berry could all see on his face that they needed to process the news. Not just Hawk, especially Bane as well.

"Everyone, assemble in the medical station, as fast as possible", Hawk announced after a moment of silent thought. "We need to talk about how we should continue with our mission."

A mere moment passed by, and everyone rushed into the medical station. Upon hearing the news, every bean, especially Bane, was saddened over his former colleague's death. It really didn't sit well with him to know that he died like this.

"Why did Cain die?" The brown member then asked, wanting an answer right away. The Doc hesitated to answer his question, but Saros raised up his voice and explained:

"A phantom virus was the cause, Bane." The red wizard strained to get up and sit on the bed's edge. It was clear as crystal that Saros was still overexerted and exhausted.

"And why couldn't our doctor save him?!" Bane turned his angered glare over to The Doc. A quiet growl was heard from his direction. The Doc was somewhat intimidated by Bane's current behavior, even more so as he walked menacingly towards him. He growled louder and slowly revealed his fanged impostor mouth. The doctor sweated as he felt Bane's aggressive breathing on his face and stepped one foot back.

Captain Hawk then stepped in to break up the growing conflict between them. Before Hawk could move Bane away from their doctor, Bane seethed with a threatening deep voice: "I swear, if one more member from our crew dies, I'm going to murder you."

"Alright, enough!" Obviously, Hawk did hear Bane's threat towards The Doc and was furious about it. Even Pitch and Saros from over in their medical bed's didn't expect to hear such a threat from Bane. He still didn't move on with our past Dustwing crew, didn't he? Saros thought to himself, knowing it highly was the reason for Bane's current aggressive reaction.

"Step back, Bane." Hawk ordered but Bane didn't listen.

"You aren't my captain." Bane snarled.

"Bane, step back." It was Pitch who interrupted with a calm voice. Bane did register Pitch's quiet voice behind him and stepped away from The Doc and Hawk, growling, back to where Cain's bed was. A white blanket was covering the dead body.

Saros rubbed his forehead and was embarrassed about Bane's behavior. Hawk calmed down eventually and focused back on what he wanted to talk about with his crew. However, in the background, the black doctor was processing Bane's threat in silence. Moon could feel it, however. She walked over to their doctor and placed a gentle hand his back in hope to soothe his frayed nerves.

"It's okay Doc", Moon whispered to him. "I'll take care of you later, try to calm your panic for now."

"Alright", Hawk finally began. "Since we seem to deal with paranormal activity, we need a new plan to continue. Saros -"

The purple captain then glanced over to Saros. He was the only one who had the required knowledge. The wizard looked up to Hawk, looking straight into his visor, letting him know he was paying attention to him.

"- You have some much-needed knowledge. What should we do against demonic ghosts?"

But all Saros did was give a short laugh. "I might be a wizard, but I'm not almighty."

"But you are." It was Starla who suddenly encouraged him. It was obvious that She admired him greatly. But he only shook his head.

"No, Starla. I'm not." Saros disagreed. "However, there is something I do remember."