Helpless

800 years ago

Right after Chan and Jisung announced their engagement, Jeongin asked for an audition for the prince.

Changbin convinced him to speak about the wolves as soon as possible.

And so they did.

Jisung was on his father's throne, looking down at the royal doctor. Beside him were Seungmin on the right and Hyunjin on the left, while behind Jeongin was Changbin for moral support.

-What can be so urgent to initiate an audition in such a short time?

-Your Highness, I might have made a mistake. But a justified one.

-It is really a mistake if you call it justified? The moment you admit you had a reason and you do not regret your actions, you cannot call it a mistake.

Jeongin was left speechless by the sharpness of Jisung's words. He didn't know the prince can be so intimidating.

-What did you do? Speak!

-I crossed the border, Jeongin raised his head high. One soldier came to me to treat him. That's when I noticed the wounds. The royal wolves are wandering through our kingdom, killing innocents. I think this means the Kingdom of Liliac wants war.

-Your Highness, I saw it too. There was a pack on our land, Changbin chimed in to back up Jeongin.

Jisung remained silent for a few seconds, then told them his verdict.

-Doctor Jeongin, please check every citizen under my authority. I want an exact number of victims and dead.

Jeongin bowed and nodded without a sound.

-Sir Changbin, I want your men to guard the border.

-Yes, Your Highness.

-Hyunjin, Jisung moved his gaze to the left.

The Duke was smirking in expectation.

-Can you come up with a plan for this?

-For peace or war?

-Hilarious, Jisung rolled his eyes.

-I'm not trying to be amusing. You have to be specific, Your Highness. I can do both.

-Peace for now.

-Give me two days.

-Very well. Seungmin, Jisung looked at the royal messenger who flinched at the calling.

-Yes?

-Go with Hyunjin. He tends to forget to eat when he is concentrating. Make sure he has everything he needs.

-Understood, Seungmin bowed to hide the blush on his cheeks.

-You can all leave now.

-How is he? Seungmin asked with big worried eyes.

Jisung closed slowly the door to the King's dorm and took Seungmin's hand to take a walk through the garden.

-He's the same. I don't know how long he will last. He is not young anymore.

Seungmin was on the verge of crying. The worries were taking over his brain.

-How the Kingdom will react?

-We don't need to worry about this now, alright? No one noticed that something is up. As long as I look fearless on that throne, no one will question where is the King, Jisung caressed Seungmin's cheek and wiped a tear that managed to stream down on his soft skin.

Seungmin nodded, containing his tears and fear.

-Jisung?

The latter hummed in response.

-If the King dies...That means you will take the crown, right?

-Well... I am the oldest. And those are the rules. Therefore yes. However, we shall not think like that, alright? He is going to survive and live for another thirty years at least. Now go to sleep, Jisung kissed Seungmin's forehead. Tomorrow you have a long day. Make sure Hyunjin doesn't exhaust himself, Jisung winked before leaving to his room.

The next morning, Hyunjin was already up, working on a plan to bring peace between the two Kingdoms when he heard a knock.

-Come in!

Seungmin pushed the door slowly and brought him some water and food.

-Good morning, sir!

-Good morning, Seungmin!

-How is going?

-Well, I might have an idea. I'm still meddling in details.

Seungmin looked through the ripped pages and his eyes lit up.

-So many ideas. Your brain is amazing.

-Thank you! Hyunjin chuckled. I am proud of that. That is the main reason I am a Duke now.

-I thought your family brought you to this title, Seungmin tilted his head.

Hyunjin laughed a bit, making Seungmin blush in embarrassment.

-Did I say something funny?

-I apologize. I forgot that only the prince knows this about me. I am an immigrant.

-Excuse me?

-I was born in the Kingdom of Liliac. My parents were part of a small group that managed to cross the border without being caught.

-You're the same as prince Chan? Seungmin's mouth opened in shock.

-Yes. Of course I had the option to return home. However, this Kingdom is where I am meant to be and I do not regret it. The king was intrigued by my family and questioned my parents about the neighbor Kingdom. My mother became a maid at the castle and I won my place as a Duke thanks to my intellect.

-That's amazing, Seungmin forgot for a moment their titles and sat down next to Hyunjin, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

-That reminds me...I don't know a thing about your family.

Seungmin thought a second before speaking again.

-My father was a priest and my mother committed suicide by drowning in the river. I was abandoned in front of the castle because the church believed I was bringing bad luck and shame to the Lord's name. I was raised in the castle along with Jisung and I became the servant, then the royal messenger.

-That explains why you are so familiar with the prince.

Seungmin smiled before looking down and finally realizing he was sitting next to Hyunjin.

He jumped scared and backed off.

-I apologize, sir! he said bowing.

-It's alright. You can call me by my name. Hearing you say "sir" makes me feel old.

-Can I? Seungmin asked feeling his whole body heating up.

-You have my permission.

-Hyunjin, he called before his lips curled in a smile.

Seungmin's heart was beating so fast. He could have sworn his chest would explode.

He never even imagined that Hyunjin would know his name.

But there he was. Talking with him and watching him work and shine bathed in the sunlight.

Such a beautiful view. A breathtaking paint coming to life.

He was in love with him and he couldn't deny it.

If he said he didn't feel something for Hyunjin, his soul would hurt him.

He was helpless.