Don't play with the dead

800 years ago

A black rose fell on Minho's grave as Jisung was sitting in front of it.

He asked for his lover to be buried under the tree where they first locked eyes.

Beside him, there was his mother, crying on her knees. She had lost both her husband and son in a span of a few months. She shed enough tears for a river.

Jisung had none left. He stared blankly at Minho's name on the gravestone and patted the mourning mother's shoulder.

-He died for you, Your Highness. For this land. Thank you for taking care of him! she mumbled.

-I loved him more than anything. My whole world was focused around him. Now I have lost any reason to live, Jisung replied.

-Your Highness, he is still watching you. From the heavens. Please continue to lead us into victory. Win this war for him. His sacrifice shall not be in vain. I'm begging you! My son deserves closure.

Minho's mother was still on her knees, clinging to the King's sleeve. Jisung kneeled down and looked in her eyes.

-I can't even imagine how painful it must be to loose a child. I'm so sorry! I couldn't keep him safe! I knew what was to happen. And I let him go. I let him let go of my hand, he said with a trembling voice.

-It's alright, she said brushing off the bangs off Jisung's forehead. He died as a hero. I am proud of him. He used to play in the garden with a stick, talking about how is he gonna become the bravest Knight, she chuckled through the sobs. He did it. And he loved you, Your Highness. He loved you so much. He told me about you. Every little detail, every moment you shared he described through letters. You were his only love and I am grateful for what you have done for us.

When Jisung returned to the throne room he spotted Felix, Chan and Changbin waiting for him.

-What is the meaning of this?

-Your Highness, Felix has an offer, Changbin spoke.

-Very well! Speak!

-Your Highness, I only need your approval. I can try casting a spell. To bring Minho back. I need some energy, but I am positive I can-

-No, Jisung replied sternly.

Felix looked at him speechless.

-No? If you give me some time, Your Highness... With all the respect, don't you want him back?

-He is in peace now. I won't bring him back in this world full of misery and gore. Don't play with the dead, witch!

-What about Jeongin? Felix moved his gaze to prince Chan. You can hold him in your arms again.

Chan's eyes became glassy. He gulped and winked repeatedly before refusing the offer as well.

-Jeongin is sleeping peacefully. My parents won't stop. If I bring him back, he will go through the same torture all over again.

Felix couldn't quite understand. He thought humans would do anything to defeat death.

-At least let me take our souls together and send them in the future. Where it will be better.

-We don't know that! Jisung spoke again. I cannot lose him twice. So stop it!

-Don't you love him?

-Exactly because I love him I am letting him rest! He died as a hero and I cannot take that away from him!

The tick atmosphere almost suffocated them in silence.

-Get out! Jisung shouted in Felix's face. I don't wanna hear about this ever again!