chapter 1

It was a Tuesday morning, a month before my misery began.

I could recall back my whole family singing, clapping, laughing and merrying over breakfast.

It has become a law in my home to chitchat about almost everything. I just finished high school, and college exam was around the corner; my parents were planning to take me to my aunt's house in Dubai, if I passed my college exam.

Mom Is the manager of her bank, and dad is a chef; he actually runs his own restaurant.

My family is very simple, yet fun to be around. we love each other and look out for each other's back.

Soon breakfast was over, dad and mom went to Work, Edmark went to school, and I was the only person at home.

Actually I was preparing to go to the Academy for my lesson. my parents had registered me in one to enhance my knowledge before my exam.

Few minutes later, mom called to remind me to lock up the house very well to prevent thieves from entering inside the house. Actually just around this time last year our house was attacked by armed robbers; the robbed us off thousands of dollars on gunpoint

My parents weren't happy at all, but then they gave thanks to God that all of us were safe.

Life wasn't always the best for us, but we try our best to make it what we want it to be; mom works late almost everyday, dad stays back on weekends to create new recipes, older brother lives at school, younger brother is still in kindergarten, and I am preparing for an exam that is to be taken in two months time.

We rarely spend time together, but when we do we make the best out of it.

That very day all of us had come back for holiday ; it was on Christmas and the best time for families to love up. Dad has been promising us a family outing, but one thing or the other had been cutting it.

That very day my parents decided to stay back for the outing, we were very happy, I even twitted about the big outing.

We all prepared for it, we were about driving out when I felt the urgent need to use the toilet.

I begged my parents to wait so that I can quickly use the toilet before we continue our journey.

Mom said no, according to her she needed to round up the outing so that she can continue with an account compilation.

I didn't like the comment she made, it sounded like she prefers work over us, but I ignored it. I decided to endure till we get to the restaurant.

As we drove I felt more pressing need to use the toilet; I couldn't t endure it any longer, so I opened the door without caring what happens to me.

Dad stopped in the middle of the road with force as soon as he noticed what I did. I jumped out and rushed into the bush to poop.

Few minutes into pooing I heard 5 gunshot; I was scared, so I stayed put for a while. Then I quietly went to the road to see what was happening; getting close I heard some guys saying something like

"It wasn't on her".

I wanted to see what was happening, as they were standing in front of our car, but I couldn't see anything.

All I knew was that they guys wore a mask, and the other guy had the face of a woman tattoo on his hand.

The woman had a tribal mark on his face, and she was smoking cigarette.
Then I heard my mom gagging and struggling to gain her breath, and my little brother crying.

After speaking to the other person on the phone, the guy came back to the car, shot three more bullets, and drove out.

I snuck out from my hiding place and rushed to where we parked only to see that our car wasn't there. I looked forward and saw it climbing down the hill.

I was still hearing the cry of my little brother, but inside the car. I ran after the car, and as I ran it felt as if I wasn't running.

Then I saw mom bring out her hand from the window; she had my baby brother on her hand. I guessed she was trying to save him.

I ran faster to catch up with them as soon as I saw a tanker approaching them from afar.

As I was nearing them, and the tanker was nearing them too, she flung Gift to my direction.

I caught him, but before I could look up they had already hit the tanker and their car exploded.

I was left with a baby, and no parents; I felt numb, couldn't cry and couldn't laugh. No emotions at all; all I was trying to do was to get Gift to stop crying, but all to no avail.

Few minutes later the police arrived and cleared up the place. The ended the case two days later.

They said it was the case of a careless driver who mistakenly hit an oil tank. I tried to tell them what happened but they said there was a witness.

According to the witness she saw my parents car speeding directing into the tanker, what she didn't know was that my parents were already dead and there death was bring fabricated.

The tank driver was also dead, so there was no one to file a case against. I told the police that I was a witness to the crime, they asked me some questions concerning it, and I told them.

I also told them about the guys, and the ish concerning the USB. Detective preacher asked me what was in the USB, but I told him I didn't know.

He asked what the men looks like, and I told him that I didn't see their faces because they wore mask.

I recalled back the tattoo, and also told them about it. They looked as if they didn't believe me.

They told me to follow my guardian, Aunty Benita, back home, promising to look into it. While we were going I overhead the police discussing about how I might still be going through the shock of my parents death.

I understood it as they don't believe me; they death was well planned, and evidence well fabricated.

Dad, mom, and my brother were poured alcohol, and the steering of our car was tampered with.