CHAPTER 30

I told them that she contacted me and said that she wants to meet both me and my fiancée; from her mom’s reaction I knew instantly that they weren’t aware of that. They wanted to follow us to meet her, but for some reason Kylie refused. She asked them to wait until we come back from meeting her. We agreed that if in the course of our meeting she showcases any of her usual psychotic traits, then we will report her to the police and also make sure that she doesn’t see the outside walls ever again.

we went straight to the restaurant to meet Ruth; getting close I saw she and her daughter playing with balloon; the 6 years old girl’s chuckling sounds could melt hearts. Ruth looks so normal, but then memories of how she was n the past won’t let me believe that she has completely normalized.

“Can a psychopath ever be normal again” I murmured to Kylie who was smiling so beautifully to the sight of Ruth and her daughter playing.

“Are you sure that she is really a psychopath, or she has anger issue (temperament)” Ruth asked

“She locked me up in prison, hit me down with a car, hurt herself badly just to get me, isn’t that the attributes of a psychopath?” I asked her.

“Let’s observe her together first, but the person I am looking at doesn’t resemble a psychopath” she said

“She is just deceiving you” I said angry.

She dragged me inside so that we can quietly observe the so mentioned changes in her, though I don’t believe there can ever be any. She turned and saw us, then she raised her hand and holla at us; her face radiating with smiles.

“Maybe she truly has changed” Kylie told me

I looked at Michael and asked her what he thinks, and his reply got me so shocked.

“Maybe truly she has changed, or she wasn’t critically psychopathic” he said

“Miracles don’t happen like that” I said, and left them to continue thinking whatsoever they want to think. We got inside, and all sat down; the table was quiet, although Ruth tried to make it lively by asking how we have been.

“Go straight to the point, we don’t have much time to spend here chitchatting about irrelevant things” I told her.

At that point Kylie touched my laps to calm me down; it is not as if I hate Ruth, rather I am scared of what she is capable of doing when things don't go her way. She is capable of killing and so keeping her around me or my loved one is quiet dangerous. Yes she looks normal and all that, but then for all I care she could be pretending. When she was my student she was calmer and sweeter than she is now, but still she hurt me so badly.

it is so difficult to forget the past, especially when its contents is your near death; I stayed in coma for 3 weeks and here they are telling me that this lady has changed.

“A monster doesn’t change, no matter how science tries to prove the otherwise”.

“why are you crying? Kylie asked staring at Ruth; her question caused me to also look up only for me to see tears rolling down her cheeks.

“No am not” she said and wiped her tears off with her handkerchief.

“Mama, are you crying? Who beat you” her daughter asked her, trying to wipe the remaining tears off her eyes. Ruth told her that no one beat her, rather dust particles entered into her eyes. She carried her crying daughter on her laps and was trying so hard to convince her that she never cried.

I stood up immediately and left the restaurant, therefore leaving my un-sipped cup of coffee on the table.

“Am sorry” “am very very sorry for every pain that I caused you in the past” she apologized and held my hand.

She stood up from her seat immediately and knelt down on the floor to apologize to me; it remained small for me to believe that she has changed, but then the reality of the representation of psychopaths by movies and documentaries made me think otherwise.

I went into my car and drove off; half way I looked around and discovered that Kylie wasn’t in the car with me.

“Christ, I must have left her behind” I exclaimed and did a U-turn back to the restaurant. On getting there I saw the two ladies discussing. From the car I tried to read their lips to note what they were saying, but I couldn’t at all.

I picked up my phone and dialed her number to alert her that I am here, but she didn’t pick up my call; I hurried inside immediately and then she saw me and smiled.

”you were right” Ruth said.

“I told you” Kylie said and smiled at Ruth

Honestly I was jealous at the way they conversed and even laughed, like they have known themselves for like ages. If not that I am the one that brought her here for the first time I would have thought otherwise. She even didn’t pick up my calls just so that they can continue with their discussion.

I held her hand and dragged kylie outside to remind her the truth.
"That very lady is the same psychopath that nearly took your fiancee' life; isn't that enough reason for you to hate her? I asked kylie who just stared into my eyes.

"I know dear, I am not friends with her, rather I was studying her" she said.

"It doesn't look like so, it felt more as if you just landed yourself a new friend" I told her

"What were you two discussing about that made you giggle and churkle so loudly" I asked.

"Me giggle and chuckle? l was only trying to make her relax around me so that she won't know to attack us before we do" she said.

"Then tell me what your discussion was all about that you couldn't even pick up my calls" I said.

"Babes, don't you trust me again? I won't ever do anything that will hurt you" she said.

"It definitely feels as if you are lying to me; discussing and exchanging pleasantries with my enemy is the surest way to kill me" I told her and went into the car.

“Wait they are even now keeping secrets, what is this” I thought

“What was their conversation all about, don’t tell me they gossiped me” my thought ran so wide.

Kylie even made the matter worse by telling me that it is ‘girls secret’; to think that I took her there as my mental health booster, and she returned as Ruth’s biggest fan. she was suddenly on and on about Ruth and her achievements. When I tried to remind her that Ruth is still suspected to be dangerous until she is proved innocent, she told me that Ruth is clean of her past, and that transformation has taken place in her life.

“Transformation? Impossible” I told her.