CHAPTER 32

“Jesus” I exclaimed and ran towards her.

“What is this, what happened” I asked pointing at her white flowery gown.

“Ooh this? It is not mine” she said
“Not yours? I asked her, surprised.
“Yes” she said with a smile and walked towards the chair.

Her legs were shaking, and her ocular movements weren’t steady; I tried to stop her from moving, but then she insisted that she was okay. She said that she must have gotten the red stain from leaning on the freshly painted wall at the town bakery; I couldn’t afford to have her collapse in my presence, so I rescheduled the meeting till the next day. While I was leaving I heard a sound from behind me; it was as if someone slumped on the floor. Everywhere became rowdy, and there was chattering everywhere as people rushed to attend to her immediately. 

I was shocked at what just happened; I couldn’t think rationally any longer. To me at that time it felt strange that someone could get hurt without knowing that she got hurt; the blood stain on her dress was pretty much big.

We rushed her to the hospital immediately, and it turns out that she was in an accident few minutes before she arrived at the restaurant. She stood up immediately and hurried to meet me even before 911 arrived. The fact that she wasn’t feeling pains frightened me so much; I paced about the emergency ward and prayed that nothing bad happens to her.

I contacted her mom and a lady picked up; she told me that Mrs. Peterson is having a massage. I told her to pass the news of her daughter’s accident to her, maybe she will know that there is need for her to leave the massage table and hurry to the hospital. An hour later Mrs. Peterson arrived at the hospital panting and sweating profusely.

The doctor came out finally and informed us that they have been able to stop her bleeding, and that she is safe, although she hasn’t woken up yet. She asked to meet with her guardian, and it was at that moment that I took a deep breath and made my way out. Mrs. Peterson held me back and begged me to go to the doctor’s with her; I couldn’t refuse her, but then I wish I did. On getting there the doctor informed us that Ruth has Leukemia. And that she needs bone marrow urgently. it happened that neither of her parents are aware of her diagnosis, she hid it from them, and I am believing that must be why she came back.

The doctor told us that the accident made her case more critical, and that she urgently needs a bone marrow transplant else we might lose her. Her mom became furious and as such started weeping and begging the doctor to do something about it.

Currently there is no matching marrow in the hospital organ bank for her, so the doctor advised they retain her in the hospital while the hospital contact their brother hospitals for assistance. Hospitals around the country and state were contacted and Ruth was signed in incase a donor is found.

I picked up my phone and noticed that I have 10 missed calls, all from Kylie; I stood up immediately and headed back home. Getting home I pondered on if it is wise for me to tell her about Ruth’s condition; one mind told me to tell her and the other warned me against it. I finally made up my mind, and all I could do was hide the truth from her, and besides I wasn’t planning on meeting with the family ever again.

Everything busted a week later, we were having breakfast when suddenly I received a call from an unknown contact; at first I hesitated before finally answering the call. Kylie gave me a look that says I should pick up my calls, and so I picked it up. The call was from an unknown number, but I figured out who the caller was seconds later. From the panic in her voice I could tell that something had absolutely gone wrong with Ruth. The spoon immediately fell from my hand when she told me with tears that Ruth had gone into cardiac arrest.

“Cardiac arrest? I repeated.

Kylie immediately left what she was doing and came closer to me; she inquired what was going on and I broke the news of Ruth’s accident to her. She was very angry at me for keeping such information from her; I totally understood her plight, although I couldn’t figure out how the two suddenly started being friends. To cut the story short we visited the hospital together. Ruth parents were walking round the quarter while the doctors tried to revive Ruth.

I asked what happened and her mom told us that her BP suddenly went up and her oxygen level went low. Few minutes later her doctor came out and broke the news of her revival to us; they said that she has woken up, and that we can see her now. they although advised that we should keep the noise low, and also to mind what we say to her, as she is still in a sensitive stage.

The week was a tough one for Ruth’s family; her mom went on and on about how she can’t cope if anything happened to her daughter. In order to keep the ladies alive, her dad and I made calls to different hospitals and organ homes in case if a donor is found.

it was exactly a month later, we had given up hope of saving Ruth; Ruth on the other hand summoned us and professed her undying love for her family. She thanked her parents for not giving up on her, even though they had all reasons to abandon her. She apologized to me for everything that she put me through and also thanked kylie for the little time they spent together.

Her mom was angry with her for keeping her illness from everyone; she insisted that they would have done something if they had known earlier. Nevertheless, she promised not to give up on her; she was determined to do everything in her power to save her daughter even if it means she giving her own marrow to her.

She screamed the doctor's name as she ran out; her husband ran after her and murmured some words to her, but she won't listen. The doctor came immediately and she told them to take her own marrow and give it to her daughter immediately.

Doctor Andrew invited the couple to his office to discuss the whole procedure to them. Mrs Peterson insisted that she wants to save her daughter with her marrow, but her husband refused to allow her do such. He instead asked the doctor to take his own but the wife too refused to let him do such.

The doctor agreed to test the two and will take the marrow from any of them that matches. Blood tests were conducted and it turned out that Mrs Peterson has colon cancer while Mr peterson is Anemic.

The doctor advices that they rethink their decision while they think of other ways to help their daughter.