CHAPTER 26

9 years back

I was in my last year in university studying business; my two best friends dragged me out of the library to go have a drink with them. At first I relented as I had a lot grounds to cover, but then they won’t stop bugging me.

They called me all sorts of names to irritate me as I hated people calling me sissy or telling me how I am slacking in a particular area, so I decided to go and prove them wrong.

Normally whenever I am preparing for a big thing, or writing an exam I don’t get intimate with no body, and I don’t party around until it was over. The library, office and my room becomes my safest and comfort place, but that day, somehow the devil caught a hold of me.

My first mistake that day was me not switching off my phone, the second was me picking up their calls and checking their messages. The third was me accepting to hangout with them, and that was the beginning of my slavery.

They told me that we were hanging out alone that day, but it wasn’t all true; they had planned with Phil’s girlfriend, Naomi to bring her friend, May to the party. It was an arranged meeting and I was the only person left out in the plan, and the only person that his future was jeopardized, or should I say, nearly destroyed.

AT THE PARTY HOUSE

I was the king of the ladies at that time, and surely if it wasn’t for the exam maybe I would have still been one, but promise is a promise and I wasn’t ready to break it. Destruction and defilation were my two most hated acts during that season

My friends drank a lot and I took just a bottle of soda, and that pissed Stanley off the most, he said that I should have stayed back if I would come there to defy the table; the worst was that he call me sissy once again.

We have been friends for 10 years and I thought that they would understand me better, since they claim so much to know me.

The others shut him up, but for some reason  he was already very angry with me; I had thought or should I say suspected that he was already very angry with me even before this drink issue.

I stood up and was about to go outside when suddenly Philemon held me by the shoulder and told me to seat down; he said that he has something for me, and it will be ready in no time. I had no option but to stay, not for the present though, but because he begged me to. Philemon isn’t an alcoholic like the rest, but he is a woman man; it was his first time asking me for a favour, so I had no option but to grant him the favour. I excused myself to use the restroom first; on my way back I discovered that the table was filled up so I wanted to use that as an excuse to leave the floor.

Phil as we usually called him told the girl sitting by his side to seat down on his lap so that I too could find a place to sit down, and that she did without even wasting time. I sat down very close to this very pretty lady, at one glace one could melt down into her green beautiful eyes, pointed nose and very sexy red lips. she was an epitome of beautiful, in the world of men she is dangerous and her beauty could turn brothers into enemies.

She eluded class and I wasn’t into posh and classy chicks, to me they are big trouble; my first girlfriend was like that, but she turned crazy a year into our relationship. Every day was hell with her, so I turned my eyes against beautiful posh and classy ladies.

On intervals she will passes at me or even try to bring up a conversation with me, but all those times I turned her time. Phil noticed and took me outside; he tried to mentor me on how delicate of flower girls are, and how I could use a little gesture to woe then into my arms. He told me to talk to her, and maybe take her outside with me. I objected to his advice and even went back inside to pick up my things to leave.

I searched for my wallet on the table but didn’t find it, then I went home after informing the bar tender to contact me peradventure they find it. At exactly 1am that day my phone rang 25 times, I was asleep, so I couldn’t pick it up. The caller continued to call until I woke up from sleep. I checked my phone and it was an unsaved number; I picked it up thinking that it was one of my drunk ass friend; they usually gave my number to the bar and security men each time they drank themselves to stupor.

“It is me” the caller said

It was a female voice, but I had no female friend who will call me by that time of the night; I warned the ones I know not to try that. I couldn’t recall the voice either, and that was the worst part.

“It’s you, who” I asked her very angry

“It is me Ruth, I know you don’t have my number” she said
I thought hard but couldn’t recall any Ruth.

“Am sorry this is a wrong number, and please refrain from calling this number in future” I told her and hung up the call.

she called me again and again and when she saw that I wasn’t picking up she saved my contact and whatsapp me picture f my wallet and even my IDs. it was then that I got an idea of who it was; nevertheless I sent her a message informing her that it was late and that she should leave the wallet with Phil the next day. I was sure that Phil knew her and that he brought her there.

I switched off my phone and slept off that night wondering what a psycho she must be to have given a stranger 25 missed calls and more early in the number. I was very sure that a normal person won’t do that.