Chapter 15 - The Pensieve

A few days have past and the Y/N and her friends have all been in high spirits. They've been doing well in classes and getting a head start on their assignments, with the help of Hermione's and Flo's nagging.

Y/N and Harry both make their way up to the Headmaster's office, the night was calm as they weaved through the empty corridors. Dumbledore had asked the two of them to visit after dinner, but they weren't given anymore information than that. Harry knocks on the door and gently opens the door to reveal the headmaster sitting at his desk. He smiled kindly at the two of them.

"Good evening, Harry and Y/N. You got my message, I see. Come, sit." Dumbledore says and the two teenagers step forward. Y/N's eyes shift to the pensieve curiously before sitting down "So. How are you?"

"Fine, sir." Harry says and Y/N nods

"Same here" Y/N replies and Dumbledore nods

"Enjoying your classes? Professor Slughorn, for one, is most impressed with you two" Dumbeldore says with a mischievous look

"I think he overestimates our abilities, sir" Y/N says chuckles

"Do you?" the headmaster asks

"Definitely." Y/N and Harry both say

Dumbledore smiles affectionately and nods. "And what of your activities outside the classroom? Do they bring you satisfaction?"

"Sir?" Harry says a little confused

"Well, I know Miss Granger keeps Y/N occupied." Dumbledore says with a smile and the Ravenclaw girl blushes "but I notice you spend a great deal of time with Miss Ravens, Harry. One can't help but wonder if-"

"No!" Harry says quickly "I mean- she's brilliant. And we're friends. But no."

"Forgive me, Harry, I-" Dumbledore smiles faintly before he shakes his head. "I was merely curious."

"There's nothing to forgive Porfessor" Hrry says with a warm smile and Dumbledore nods

"In any event, I'm sure you're wondering why I've summoned you both here tonight. The answer lies here." Dumbledore swings open a cabinet where dozons upon dozons of glittering vials stand like tiny glimmering soldiers.

"What are they," Harry asks

"What you see before you are memories. In this case the memories belong to one individual, Voldemort. Or as he was known then, Tom Riddle." Dumbledore says and reaches down with his damaged hand, removing a stoppered vial, dusty and veined with age. "This vial contains a particular memory of the day I first met him. I'd like you both to see it. If you would"

Dumbledore extends his ashen hand and Y/N and Harry both rise. The Ravenclaw carefully takes the vial and removes the cork. She tips the contents into the Pensieve and the two teenagers both look at the headmaster for confirmation. Dumbledore nods and Y/N and Harry lean into the iridescent liquid, their faces breaking the surface.

----------------------------------------------------------

A horse-drawn milk cart rattles across a rain-swept London street and a young Dumbledore appears in a plum velvet suit. He walks down the street until he reaches a grim building surrounded by iron gates, an orphanage. Inside, a skinny, sharp-featured woman, leads Dumbledore down a drab corridor. Children's voices carry from an unseen courtyard, shrieking in the midst of some game.

"I must confess to a bit of confusion upon receiving your letter, Mr. Dumbledore. In all the years Tom's been here, he's never once had a family visitor. Frankly, I was stunned to find that someone knew of his existence." The woman says