Chapter 40 - New changes

*trigger warning* 

The following morning, Y/N and Flo stroll through the castle, their footsteps echoing softly in the corridor, as they make their way towards the Great Hall. As they step into the hall, their eyes are drawn to the farthest reaches of the Gryffindor table. Among the conversations and bustling movement, a sight catches their attention; Harry and Hermione engrossed in an animated exchange. Meanwhile, Ron's absence from his usual spot beside Harry doesn't go unnoticed; it's clear that he's once again entangled in Lavender's company.

Taking her place beside Flo and the others at the table, Y/N's attention shifts to Hermione, whose eyes light up with a radiant expression upon seeing her. The exchange of greetings is more than words. With an air of familiarity and warmth, Y/N stares adoringly at her girlfriend, a soft smile curving her lips as she leans in for a gentle, lingering kiss. 

"Hi darling" Hermione speaks and Y/N smiles back whilst serving herself a plate of French toast

"Hi my love" the Ravenclaw replies "How did you sleep?"

Hermione sighs "it was alright. I sleep better when I'm next to you"

"Yeah me too," Y/N says and digs into her breakfast

"Oh for Merlin's sake" Flo mutters

"What," Harry asks and the group turns around the see Lavender clinging to Ron's arm as she squeals happily, practically bouncing all the way over to her friends.

"She's just" Flo starts and puts her head in her hands "Ugh! I just can't stand her and the bloody high pitch squealing she does. It gets under my skin"

"At least you're not in the same house as her, or both of them for that matter" Harry says and Hermione nods as she takes a bite of her croissant.

Ron then makes his way over to the group with what looks to be a relieved expression as he sits down next to Harry "Morning" he says

Y/N smirks and hands him the syrup to put on his pancakes "How're your ears mate"

Ron pouts but takes the small jug from her "shut it Y/N"

Laughter bubbles forth from the Ravenclaw's lips that blends with Harry's own chuckles. Across from them, Flo and Hermione exchange a fleeting but knowing glance, their lips curving into matching, amused smiles. The resonance of shared amusement forms an unspoken bridge between them all and Ron can't help but be oblivious to it all.

Moments later, Callan's presence melds seamlessly into the group. Taking his place beside Y/N, he settles in with an air of both weariness and concern etched onto his face. There's a subtle tension in his frame, a hint of anxiousness that lingers beneath the surface of his gaze. Y/ can't help but notice and gently touches to his arm to get the Slytherin boy's attention. 

"Hey Cal, is everything alright," Y/N asks and finally he looks up to meet her gaze, and the rest of the groups

"I'm alright" he says but Y/N knows that he's not acting like his usual sarcastic self, so she knows something up

"Where's Jord's" Flo asks

Callan stays silent for a little bit fidgeting with his fingers. "He's not feeling too great. It's his first night tonight"