Chapter 28 - Christmas Party

Tinsel decks the banisters and mistletoe droops from the ceiling as Ron, Harry, Y/N and Jorden make their way down the crowded corridor. They pass by a bunch of first years and Ron walks with a new air of confidence, not exactly strutting, but close.

"Look, I can't help it if she's got her knickers in a twist." Ron starts "What Lav and I have- well, let's just say there was no stopping it. It's chemical."

"You sure it's not toxic" Y/N mutters and Jorden snorts as Harry rolls his eyes at the two of them. Ron ignores both of them, nothing stopping his confidence.

"Will it last? Who knows? Point is, I'm a free agent." the Weasley boy says with a large smile on his face.

"Alright mate" Jorden says and Harry sighs

"You think Flo's gonna be okay" Harry says softly to Y/N and the Ravenclaw shrugs.

---------------------------------------------------------

Harry, Y/N, Hermione and Cal trail Flo through the stacks of books in the library. Flo seems entirely unbothered by the situation, but her friends know that's not the truth.

"He's at perfect liberty to kiss whomever he likes. I really couldn't care less." Flo says like she's trying to convince herself more than the others.

"Are you sure about that" Y/N says and Flo stops in an aisle and looks through the books, she sighs deeply

"Flo it's okay to be not to be okay," Harry says putting a comforting hand on her shoulder "you seemed pretty upset when you saw Ron snogging Lavender"

"It was just a moment of weakness Harry, I promise I'm completely unaffected by Ron's behaviour," Flo says and forms a weak smile on her lips. "Was I under the impression that he and I would be attending Slughorn's Christmas party together? Yes"

"Maybe you should've told him how you feel," Y/N says and Flo's eyes dart to her best friend, glaring at her "you've always told me to express my feelings, so maybe if you just told Ron that you like him- Ow!"

The Ravenclaw didn't see it coming as Flo whacked her head with a rather thick book. The Ravenclaw glares darkly at her best friend "Y/N respectfully shut the fuck up"

"Okay sorry, but was the book really necessary," the Ravenclaw says rubbing the spot where the book hit.

"I mean, with that comment you were practically asking for it," Callan says and Y/N huffs. Out of the corner of her eye, she can see Hermione smiling clearly amused by the display.

"Yes Y/N the book was necessary" Flo answers then takes a breath "now, given the circumstances, I've had to make other arrangements."

"Have you?" Harry asks a little surprised

"Yes. Why?" Flo says a little curious

"I just thought, you know, since neither one of us can take who we'd really like, maybe we'd go together. As friends." Harry says and Flo stops looking through the mountain of books

"Godric! Why didn't I think of that?" Flo says mainly to herself

"So who are you taking?" Callan asks

"Um- it's a surprise." Flo says evading the question "Besides, it's Harry we need to worry about. And you can't pick just anyone.

"Flo's right," Hermione says "See that girl over there. That's Romilda Vane. Rumour has it she's trying to slip you a love potion."

"Really?" Harry says and he looks at the girl Hermione is referring to. Y/N looks over at the girl as well. Romilda is certainly not bad looking.

Suddenly Flo snaps her fingers "Hey! She's only interested in you because she thinks you're the Chosen One."