Chapter 35 - A quiet new years

It's late morning and Y/N is outside the timber shed, axe in hand chopping down small wooden logs turning them into usable firewood. Despite it being quite cold outside, the Ravenclaw girl wore jeans, boots and a grey shirt with the flannel Hermione gave her for Christmas over the top. She took off her thick coat because it was getting so hot as well as restricting her motion of movement.

Y/N swings down on the log, splitting it in two easily. She then chucks it in the large hessian sack beside that was already halfway full. The Ravenclaw wipes the sweat from her brow as she grabs another log and swings down. It doesn't split all the way so Y/N takes another swing and sound echoes through the surrounding trees as the log splits in two.

"Sometimes I forget how strong you actually are" and Y/N turns around to see Flo dressed warmly trudge her way though the snow.

"The axe does most of the work. At least my aunt gave me the 'fun' jobs" Y/N says, a small smile forming on her lips "I actually kind of like chopping wood, it gets out my frustrations"

"Hmm I bet" Flo says with a smirk and leans against the shed her arms folded across her chest to keep warm. "Let me guess, you're frustrated at Hermione"

"She's definitely part of it" Y/N says honestly "like I understand why she wanted space and I'm glad that we at least talked about it. But how long is it going to take to forgive me, it's been two days. Or when will I know when to finally approach her again?"

"You'll just know Y/N" Flo replies. The Ravenclaw huffs reluctantly at that answer and strikes another log. "But I'm glad that you two are finally maturing in your arguments, it makes it easier to be around both of you"

"Uhh... your welcome" Y/N says and Flo chuckles at her best friends confusion.

"The others wanted to know how if your going to spend New Years with us" Flo asks

"New Years Eve is today" Y/N says surprised and Flo laughs but nods "I- I don't know. After the whole argument with my aunt, I don't feel like I deserve to party"

Flo nods understanding her friends guilt. "I don't think she'll mind but it's your choice"

"I'll see," Y/N responds and that answer seems to satisfy her best friend for now "But anyways, you and Ron seem to be getting on nicely, will there be a new years kiss on the table"

Flo scoffs and a subtle look of disappointment forms on her face. "He's still dating Lavender you douche bag"

"Oh shit I actually forgot about her" Y/N says realising her mistake. "I'm sorry" she apologises and moves next to Flo, leaning against the shed as well.

"Don't be" Flo responds "sometimes I forget that he's dating her and I have to keep reminding myself not to get ahead of myself, you know"

Y/N nods and smiles warmly at her best friend. "For what it's worth, I think sometimes Ron forgets that's he's dating her too. Especially over the last couple of days"

"Thanks Y/N" Flo says, Y/N's words seeming to put her in a better mood. She then looks at the axe in her best friends hands "can I have a go" she asks pointing at the axe

"Sure" Y/N says handing her the axe and setting up another log on the block. Suddenly, Flo raises the axe above her head and swings down hard onto the log below, she lets out an audible grunt as the log splits clean down the middle. "Wow that's a pretty good split" Y/N comments and Flo smiles brightly

"Thanks" she replies, her breathing a little shallow as the burst of energy slowly dies down. "I can see why you enjoy this, it really does get out your frustrations"

Y/N chuckles "want to do the rest?"

"Fuck no, they're your chores not mine" Flo responds and the girls laugh. "Speaking of, I should probably leave you to it. I don't want your aunt catching you having too much fun"