Chapter 18 - Dumbledore's training

Y/N makes her way up to the the astronomy tower to continue with her wandless magic lessons with Dumbledore. The other Professors are aware that the Ravenclaw girl has permission to wander the castle at this hour, so she won't get into trouble.

It's been difficult to find time to practise at Hogwarts as well as find a place where the Ravenclaw will be hidden and unbothered by others. Y/N did think about the room of requirement and did open the room, but to her disappointment it was covered in junk and not a very practical place for her to practise.

Her next option was to ask Dumbledore to grant her access to the astronomy tower late at night, it has plenty of space and is well out of the way from prying eyes. The tower also had the added bonus of being close to the Ravenclaw common room.

She makes her way up the stairs of the astronomy tower and spots Professor Dumbledore staring out to the night sky away from Y/N. The Ravenclaw girl stands next to the headmaster and looks out to the sky as well, neither of them say anything.

"Beautiful night" the headmaster says "don't you agree Y/N"

The Ravenclaw looks out to the sky and nods "indeed Professor, it not often in autumn we get clear skies to see them. The stars seem to be shining brighter tonight"

"That they are," Dumbledore chuckles "like you I enjoy the stars, there something ironically magical about them"

Y/N smiles "looking at the stars has always gave me a sense of peace, sometimes direction too"

Dumbledore smiles and faces the young Ravenclaw "shall we begin tonights lesson" Y/N nods and the two move away from the metal banister and move to opposite ends of the room. "Let's start with the spells you've already learnt"

Y/N nods again Dumbledore holds up small sphere in his hand. He tosses it up in the air and holds out her hand and tracks the sphere as it moves through the air.

"Windardium Leviosa" she mutters and the sphere floats in mid-air.

Y/N grins and looks to Dumbledore who smiles approvingly. The Ravenclaw's outstretched hand almost looks like she has the metal sphere in the palm, but it just stays motionless in mid-air. Y/N twists her hand slightly and the sphere comes towards her and lands in her palm.

"Very good, Y/N" Dumbledore praises "the next step is for you to just think of the spell and it should follow"

Y/N smiles and tosses the sphere back to the headmaster catches it with ease. "What's up next"

"Block my spells" Dumbledore says and Y/N nods and the two of the step a few paces back.

Dumbledore holds out his wand and Y/N stands and her hands in clenched fist as she waits for the headmaster to make his move.

He flicks his wand and a light blue spark bursts from his wand. Y/N quickly holds up her forearm and a translucent circle forms at the front blocking the spell, acting as a shield. Dumbledore casts the spells more quickly and Y/N blocks then moving closer to the headmaster. The Ravenclaw smiles as she raises her other arm to efficiently block the more rapid spells.

Dumbledore smiles mischievously and casts a more powerful spell causing Y/N to cross her forearms to create a bigger and more powerful shield to block the attack. However, Dumbledore's spell was able to get through and lightly stuns the Ravenclaw girl. Y/N falls to ground on her back and winces at the sudden pain.

Y/N sits up and rubs her back whilst the headmaster extends his hand to help her up. The Ravenclaw girl sighs but takes the headmaster's hand and getting back on her feet. Dumbledore still has a small smile on his face.

"You almost had it Y/N" Dumbledore says and Y/N smiles "you just need to be a little quicker when performing the last movement"

"I should be better" Y/N mumbles under her breath

"Wandless magic takes time" Dumbledore says "you've achieved so much in a short amount of time we've started these lessons"

"But I'm supposed be better aren't I Professor" Y/N says "I'm the chosen ones protector, I'm supposed to protect Harry. How am I supposed to protect Harry if I can't block harder spells."

"Y/N" Dumbledore says "you are not just a prophecy. You are Y/N Black, a talented quidditch player, a hardworking student and exceptional witch. All those things come before a prophecy"

"I'm sorry professor, it's-" Y/N stops and sighs "it's just hard to not think about the fate of the wizarding world being carried on Harry's and I's shoulders"

"It's alright Y/N" Dumbledore says "just be patient, everything will eventually fall into place"

Y/N smiles "I think you know by now that I struggle with patience sir"

"That I do know" The headmaster chuckles "now let's continue with incendio then we will learn a new spell"

Y/N smiles and moves her hand in the air and small flames dance around the fingers "I think I've got this one covered sir"

Y/N continues creating small bursts of flames in her her hands and pushes the energy towards the Professor who easily blocks it with a water charm. Both wizards let their spells fizzle out and Dumbledore smiles at Y/N.

"Incendio is your most powerful spell at the moment. It's almost perfect but remember to always practice mastered spells" Dumbledore says and Y/N nods

"Yes sir" Y/N responds and Dumbledore nods

"Now we are going to learn Accio" Dumbledore says and holds up the metal sphere once more. "The spell is similar to wingardium leviosa and I want to see if you can work it out before I give you some pointers. Now try and take the metal ball."

Y/N nods and holds out her arm pointing at the metal sphere. "Accio" she says but the metal ball doesn't move. Y/N sighs a little disheartened

"You had the right idea Y/N" Dumbledore says encouragingly "try and connecting with the objects energy. Think about what it might feel like in your hand. Is it hot or cold? Is it rough or smooth?"

Y/N nods again and takes Dumbledore's advice on board. She thinks about the spheres smooth, cold surface. She holds out her hand once more and stares at the sphere "Accio"

This time the sphere rushes out of Dumbledore's hand at rapid speed and connects with Y/N's hand. The Ravenclaw catches the ball and smiles proudly.

"We'll done Y/N" Dumbledore praises "now again"

Y/N and the headmaster continue practising the newly learnt spell. The Ravenclaw girl gets more confident using the spell that she has progressed to using the spell without uttering the words. Dumbledore smiles and Y/N returns the sphere to him.

"That's enough for tonight Y/N, you are improving fast" Dumbledore says

"Thank you sir" Y/N says "I was actually hoping to ask you something"

"Of course" Dumbledore says with a warm reassuring smile

"I've been finding it difficult to find a place to practise outside of our lessons sir. I know that no one other than a select few of people are allowed to know about the lessons, but I don't know any other safe places to practise" Y/N says

Dumbledore chuckles "you already have permission from me to wander the castle at night Y/N, I'm sure you can think of something"

"But I can't practise by myself" Y/N says and again Dumbledore chuckles

"I think you can figure something out Y/N, use that Ravenclaw brain of yours" Dumbledore says and he leaves the astronomy tower.

Y/N stands in the astronomy tower left very confused by the Professor. Eventually she does make her way back to the Ravenclaw tower to get some sleep and think about Dumbledore's words carefully.