one- a friend

Isadora Rose:

I have been told four times today that my tattoos make me look unemployable and I am about to punch one of these senior citizens in the face. All I want is to sit and chat to mi abuela before she kicks the bucket and dies.

It's sounds aggressive and kinda rude but it's true. She called me this morning and told me ,"get over here, I wanna give you something I forgot to put in my will."

Mi abuela is one of the only relatives my siblings and I still talk to. I don't have good memories of my family. I only have ones filled with screaming and fighting and they all smell like Hennessy.

The best way I can explain it is by comparing my life to Fiona Gallagher's. My parents were abusive and addicts so my siblings and I were always in and out of their custody. When I turned eighteen I got full custody so we moved away from our family and started a new life.

I rest now against the windowsill of mi abuela's room in the old folks home. Her room is full of color and patterns ( and of course has a mini shrine to Ricky Martin).

Her frail body shakes as a breeze enters through the window. She's not got long left and we both know it. She is a very intelligent woman ; she can communicate through just a look. Right now she is saying , 'Get your fat ass off of my windowsill'.

"Isa, pass me my check book. It's in my purse." She says in an ordering tone.

"Abuela, you know I can't take money from you. We are doing fine I promise."

"It's not for your sorry ass it's for my nurse. She gave me an extra morphine this morning and now I wanna return the favour." This bitch.

You know what she has. Audacity.

"What have I told you about taking extras? That one pill could be the difference between-" She cuts me off before I can finish scolding her.

"I have been on this earth for 91 years and in this shit hole of a county for 70. I can take as many drugs as I fucking want." The look on her face is firm and sure. You can totally tell we are related ; I got my attitude from her.

"You know I love you, Mia, Tiago and Rico more than anything in this world. I would do anything to watch you become the people you are meant to be but life doesn't work like that mi amor." I start to tear up at her words. She was the only one to stand with me when I took custody of my siblings. We were shunned by the rest of the Roses.

"We love you too. You know that ,right?" She chuckles at my question as we both know the answer.

"When I die-"

"We don't need to talk about this now because your not there yet."

"Let me finish ,Isa." I sigh and nod for her to carry on.

"When I die, a friend of mine will organise the funeral so you don't have to worry about it."

A friend?

"None of the family will be there for  except for you, your sister and brothers." I let go of a breath I didn't know I was holding onto. Thank god I won't have to face them.

"There will be people there that you won't recognize but I don't want you to speak to them unless they speak to you."

No, but seriously who the fuck are these friends of hers?

"Thank god you got my eyes and not your father's." I giggle at her random compliment as she reached out to stroke my face.

"Why did you want to see me?"

She sighs and looks at her hands then at me. She was tearing up now. I have never seen mi abuela cry up until now so this was strange.

Now I think about it she had never been overly affectionate until a few weeks ago. What the hell is that about?

"I want you to have this," she says softly whilst handing me a crimson box with a bow, "but I don't want you to open it until after I die."

"Of course abuela. Thank you."

"So, has anything changed with that boy Lucas?" Nosy bitch.

Lucas is my on-again-off-again boyfriend. Mi abuela loved him because he always bought her flowers too when he bought me some. We are currently off because he confessed that he had slept with someone else. I wasn't that upset just pissed.

"No, abuela, we're not together. I don't think we are going to get back together either." She gasps dramatically and grabs her chest.

"Are you trying to kill me?" This bitch seriously sounds like Salma Hayek when she is shocked. It's entertaining.

"He slept with another woman." She gasps a second time with double the amount of dramatics as she went as far too jolt back slightly.

"Gilipollas."
(dickhead)

"Abuela!"

"I know some people who can cause enough damage so that his own mother won't recognize him." I have never seen this side of her but I am living for it.

"It's okay I dealt with it and now it's over." I put my hand over hers as subtle smiles spread across both our faces.

I look up at the clock above her head as I realize the time I have to be at work.

"Abuela I have to go now but I will come back tomorrow with Santi, Mia and Rico, okay. I love you." I place a kiss on her forehead and she pulls me in for a tender hug.

I wish I could have her hold me like this forever. It feels safe. I want to feel safe.

"I will see you soon mi amor." She whispers into my ear as we separate.

I hustle out of her room and wave good bye to the receptionist. Shit, I'm so late.