five- phone calls

Isadora Rose:

It is currently four in the morning. I got the call an hour ago. She's dead.

Mi abuela had died a few hours ago, in her sleep.

I could feel my heart breaking in my chest as I silently cry into my pillow. Sorrow fills my soul and everything begins to feel cold.

This can't be happening.

Stage one- denial

I saw her not long ago and she was well. We were laughing and talking. She was okay. I swear she was.

Why do they always take the good people? Why her? She was good and kind and pure. She saved me when I didn't even know that I needed to be saved.

The woman on the phone said that Abuela had organized for a friend to plan the funeral so I didn't have to. She always knew that I hated planning things.

The people on tv make dying in your sleep sound like the best way to go. I think it's the worst.

You go to do something that should help you and make you feel better but then you slowly slip away.

Did she know that she was dying? I mean I know she was old but I thought we would've had some more time together.

Why wouldn't she tell me? I hate the feeling of not knowing something. I like to be aware and involved.

The sound of shuffling feet outside my door snaps me out of my train of thought.

"Hey, are you okay?" Santiago says while slowly opening my door.

I guess I wasn't as silent as I thought.

I wipe my tears off of my flushed cheeks, "Santi, come here."

I usher for him to sit down and he does so hesitantly. I hardly ever cry ,so when I do it's a big deal.

"It's abuela, isn't it." He whispers , almost as if he doesn't want an answer.

"Yeah, buddy, she's gone." Tears pool in his eyes as they meet mine.

He didn't even get to say goodbye.

I quickly pull him into my arms and he holds onto me like I am all he has.

Our family has been through a lot. Too much. This is the final straw. We are officially cursed.

A few hours later:

The dial tone rings once I press on Silvia's name. I have somewhat composed myself but I'm still pretty shaken.

Rico didn't really understand what I was telling him but Mia was heartbroken. Her relationship with
Abuela was precious. They were meant to have brunch tomorrow.

"Hey, honey, why are you up so early?" Silvia says sweetly through the phone.

When I don't respond immediately her tone changes.

"Isa, what's going on? Are you crying?"

"She's gone V."

"Who? Who's gone?" I begin to hear her panic.

"Abuela."

"Oh no, baby. Don't even trouble yourself with work today. I'll talk to Frankie and then I'll call the diner." She acts like she's my god damn mother sometimes and I love her for it.

"I'll be over in ten. I'll take the kids to school if they feel like going."

All I can muster out is a quiet 'thank you'.

The call ends soon after. What the fuck am I going to do?

Alessandro Marino:

It is currently seven in the morning. I got the call an hour ago. She's dead.

Sofia Rose is dead.

Sofia was one the most prominent women in my industry. Her and her husband had a flourishing empire but decided to keep it to themselves. They were very private people.

My mother loved Sofia, dearly. She was like a parental figure to anyone she met. So I can guarantee that her passing will be spread within hours -if it hasn't already.

To make this day worse, my tattoo appointment was fucking cancelled. That's the last time I trust Andrea with this type of shit.

The funeral will be held tomorrow. For some, this may seem like very short notice ,but in this life, everything is quick and unexpected.

I call the family designer, Pablo, and explain to him what I need to be prepared. Pablo has been designing for the Marinos for decades now. He's practically family.

"I will be over at five-ish with your suit, Mr Marino. Don't you worry." His Italian accent is far stronger than mine.

I was born in Italy but was raised in America. Even though I am well into my adulthood, I can not understand the move. Italy is a beautiful country full of ancient art, amazing food and a stunning culture. America is utter bullshit. But the weather isn't too bad.

Random thoughts fill my mind and I forget what I was meant to be doing.

Oh yeah, I have a fucking job now.

——————————————————
Authors note:

I'm so sorry for killing off abuela. Please don't hurt me. It had to be done.

Also, sorry for the short chapter. I couldn't be bothered to write anymore and I low-key got writers block.

But anyways, bye loves. Thank you so much for reading and don't forget to vote. <3