fifty nine- fighting

Isadora Rose:

Two days pass by like a century. The four empty around me only dullen the already tense atmosphere that everybody has taken notice of. Since Alessandro's abrupt confession, every thought has been mixed with a thousand more. Why did I have to wake up now? This shit is draining.

Andrea's babbling from beside me goes in one ear and straight out the other as her brother's piercing stare is all that I can take in. The bags under his eyes are now more prominent in the daylight. I know he hasn't been in a proper state but I'm still taken aback by this new version of him, it's darker and colder.

"Isadora." I hear my name being called from beside me.

"Yes." I respond, my eyes still not leaving Alessandro's.

"I'm going to get a coffee, would you like me to get you anything?" Andrea asks so gently as if she were afraid that a few decibels would shatter me.

"No, I'm alright." She turns to her brother and his eyes leave mine for a second to give his sister a harsh look that said get out in a thousand languages.

Andrea leaves my side after a moment of hesitation leaving Alessandro and I alone. Why do I feel so far away from him? The sound of the door being closed is almost like a signal for the boy in question to sit beside me. The bed dips where he now lays and I shuffle over to give him more room. Only then do I notice the scratches on his cheek. My hand instinctively reaches up to graze them before Alessandro catches it with his own.

"What have you done to yourself?" I mutter just loud enough for him to hear, my voice trembling at the end of each word.

"I fought for you,that's all I've done." He confesses monotonously.

"I don't want you to fight for you when this is the outcome." I whisper as my hand slips from his gentle clasp.

"You know I can't do that. As long as I am breathing, I will be more than prepared to give my life to protect yours." He now allows my hand to cup his face and he melts into my hold.

"I can't lose you."

"We'll be just fine, mío caro."

My head tucks into the crook of his neck as I fight back tears. Of course I'm about to fucking cry right now.

"Don't mourn me while I'm still here for us." Alessandro comforts me as my traitorous tears begin to fall.

"I want you to do this for you not for me. I can't let you-"

"Don't try to change my mind, Isadora. You'll only fail and we both  know how much of a sore loser you are." He attempts to lighten the mood and even ignites a half-smile from me.

"That's only because you've made me this competitive."

"I have done no such thing, I am innocent bystander who you love to hurl insults towards when you lose at cards." Oh he did not. I never lose at cards.

"Name one time that's happened."

"How much time have you got?" Now he wants to be a god damn comedian I see.

I roll my eyes at his attempt at a joke as Alessandro's face upholds a look of pride. He's had these jokes brewing for weeks and now he thinks he's on a fucking roll.

"You're such an ass." I love you.

"Would you want me any other way?" I love you too.