twenty one- a sweet stranger

Isadora Rose:

I hear the turning of a doorknob and an echoing click. It felt as if my brother and I were lambs being lead to slaughter, we were the prey chained to a pole.

Looking back on my life, I have been in several life or death situations that I never truly recognised. However I never once thought that I was actually going to die. At this moment, I can practically smell the decay.

Footsteps rain through the corridors, the steps heavy on the floors. I hear rustling through rooms and beds. The smashing of glasses against one another. I see the shadow of a figure underneath the bathroom door.

My arms stay glued on my brother as I pull him behind me. There is no way in hell I am letting this boy meet any harm.

The sound of burning bullets rings in my ears as the room is pierced. Rico shrieks and screams at the sight. My mind clears of thoughts and words with each and every bullet that is fired.

The only thought that remains is of Tristan. He is racing to the apartment ,as far as I know, and the first thing he is going to see is my dead body cradling Rico's.

Tristan has witnessed death as much as a friend. Our lives have been shaped around a constant funeral with a sense of mourning around each and every bend. I can't be the cause of that.

The shots stopped for a moment when more footsteps flood the halls. I hear a yell and a click as another shower begins. My body flies back over Rico's ,to shield him, but no bullets enter our hiding place.

The thud that followed bodies dropping to the ground was powerful. I couldn't make out a word that was said but, I don't think I was even trying to.

A violent struggle can be heard from behind the door as the handle shakes. Someone bangs viciously against the door, the scratching of fingernails against the wood deafening me.

As a final thud sounds, there is nothing more. No one shouts or screams, no one is shooting or barging.

A gentle hand knocks on the door but I am hesitant to respond. My eyes stay locked on the brass handle, never leaving, not even for a second.

"Isa, are you in here?" The sound of a familiar voice asks. Tears fall down my cheeks as I match a name to the sweet stranger. Tristan.

With Rico in my arms, I scurry to the door and turn the lock. The second our eyes meet, I am pulled into a tight hug.

I feel his arms wrap around the both of us as I feel my shoulder coat with his tears. I have only ever seen Tristan cry once and I never thought it would be over me. Never.

"Are you guys okay?" He asks through tears. A smile forms when I nod my head. Rico remains on my hip with his head still buried in the crook of my neck.

"What the fuck happened?"

"A lot." I tell my friend. How am I supposed to explain this situation without scaring the shit out of him or crying?

"Santiago and Mia- they're gone and I don't know what I'm gonna do."

"I'll take care of it ok doll. I'm gonna take you back to my place and then you can just try to relax." I can't relax until I have those kids in my arms.

With that we leave the apartment, a few men with guns in their hands watch me step over the dead bodies on the floor. Crimson blood coats the wood as well as the broken furniture. I don't care about that.

Tristan keeps an arm thrown over my shoulder as he leads us to a blacked out car. The second I am sat down in the car, emotions take over.

I have just left my home ,which is now covered in bullet holes, to escape a near death experience after finding out my family is a mafia and my siblings have been fucking kidnapped. This shit doesn't happen to your average Joe.

Slow rain falls down the window as I watch the sky unfold. Mia loves the sound of rain, I do too.

The young boy on my lap rests his head on my chest as his small arms attempt to wrap around my figure. I return the warm hold and neither of us moves.

Rico is too young to understand what is happening but, he knows we are in deep shit. The look of despair in his hazel eyes told me the whole story. He is scared and worried, worried of the unknown.

My teary eyes meet Tristan's dark ones in the rear view mirror. His face shows a deep sorrow and almost sympathy. Tristan is the type of man to tell you everything in a look.

My gaze turns back to the window to my left and I catch a glimpse of our surroundings. The land surrounding us is bare and vast. This isn't the way to a New York City apartment.

"Tristan, this isn't the way to your apartment." I inform in a confused tone. His silence as an answer told me all I needed to hear.

"Where the fuck are you taking me?" I mumble as our eyes meet again, his now beginning to pool with tears.

"I need you to trust me on this one, alright." No, no, no. I quickly shake my head in response to him.

I don't know what I am objecting to but I can't put Rico in any other form of danger. I can't do that again.

"Where are you taking us?" I question him. I love and respect my friend but I don't know if I trust him in this moment.

"We are going to see a friend of mine."

——————————————————

I know this is a short chapter but it's necessary for the effect ig.

I'm sure we all know what friend we gonna see. *wink wink*

These chapters may seem a bit deep but I feel that it is necessary to show that not all families are ideal or even a true family. We can find and make our own family. Blood does not make a family ; love and care makes one.

If anything I write makes you feel upset or uncomfortable please contact me. This is a safe place for all of you and I wish you all the best. Lots of love for you all my loves.