♥︎♡ ! >﹏< 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟰 !

i can see in the rear-view mirror that juwon's got his earphone in as he stares out the window, so he's not paying us any attention at all.

yeonjun gets in beside me. it's weird that the seats are the other way around in america.

he turns on the engine and we reverse out of the driveway and into the street.

i wonder if he's going to say anything. he hasn't said anything to me yet. he just looked at me earlier when we first saw each other. he smirked. why was he smirking?

i glance over at him, and his dark eyes flash to the road. was he just looking at me?

"you like music?" he asks.

"uh...yeah." i say quietly.

with one hand he takes his phone out of his pocket, unlocks it and hands it to me. "it's connected to the speaker." he says. "pick something."

i get the feeling he's trying to be polite perhaps but it seems more demanding. i don't know. maybe i just need to get to know him more. i'm also surprised that he just handed me his unlocked phone. i don't think i'd trust someone with my phone. his background is a photo from a concert i think, with strobe lights and arms in the air. his social media texts have loads of notification that he hasn't looked at which kind of triggers me. i wonder how much i could figure out about this guy just from staring at his phone. i tap onto the spotify app and scroll through his playlists. i'm not sure why i was expecting to see loads of rave and house music, or awful depressing rap about drugs, sex, money and all that stuff that just sounds the same. but i don't see anything like that. in fact, for a second i feel like i've gone onto my own spotify playlists. lost of vibes, lost of throwback music, some good oldies like the beatles. maybe he's a good guy. we might be more similar than i thought.

i tap onto one of his playlists and click shuffle. the first song to play is reflections by the neighbourhood. i put down the phone.

i notice him smile slightly. that's a bit of a heavenly sight.

"you like that kind of music?" he asks me.

"yeah." i say.

he looks at me for a second before back at the road. "you're talkative." he notes sarcastically.

no. just a bit shy around him, don't know why.

"you didn't seem eager to meet me last night." i point out.

he hesitates. "you heard that?" he asks, referring to his argument with his mom.

"might have."

"thought you were asleep." he says to me.

i shrug. "evidently not."

then he smirks again. what is it with his smirk?

"what?" i eventually ask him.

"cute accents." he says.

i look down at my knees, feeling my cheeks redden as i smile slightly.

"thanks." i say.

"what did you hear?" he asks, going back to the argument.

i shrug slightly. "your friend was in the car waiting for you to go out but she wanted you to stay for dinner." i say simply.

he pauses. "you didn't hear anything else?" he asks.

i hesitate in thought. "i don't think so..." i say, not really able to remember what was said exactly.

he nods slightly, before turning up the music. i'm curious - what did he not want me to hear?

we sit quietly for the rest of the drive, with the indie music as the only noise. i watch row upon row of photocopied skyscrapers flash past and the mobs of crowds swarming like insect. eventually we pull into the school carpark and he turns the music down. he turns into a space and the engine goes off.

juwon opens his door and steps out instantly. he says, "bye chaewon." and slams the door shut before i can respond.

i go to open my door when suddenly yeonjun is leaning over me. he grabs my door's handle and pulls it shut again. he is centimetres from my face and my heart is pounding. what's going on?

"you swear you didn't hear anything else last night?" he demands, suddenly all intimidating and angry.

my eyes study his face up and down as i frown at him.

"what are you doing?" i ask him.

"what did you hear?"

"what?" i scoff.

"what did you hear last night?" he says again.

"i didn't hear anything! jesus, what is your problem?" i say to him.

"swear it."

"are you kidding?"

"swear. it." he says. he says quietly, staying in control, which for some reason is more intimidating.

"i swear." i say, staring at him.

he's still. very still. he's just a few inches from me, and his eyes travel my face. i watch his eyes as he studies me for a second until he eventually says "good." with a small smile. he opens my car door and turns to get out his side.

what the hell just happened?

i sit there for a second, staring blankly out the windscreen. what the hell did he not want me to hear last night? and who the hell acts like that the first day you meet?

i get out of the car, swinging my bag over my shoulder. he locks the car and behind walking through the carpark. or "parking lot" as they'd say here. the building is tall, sort of modern with a color scheme of red and white. that makes me think of high school musical, but this school doesn't seem so musical judging by the way he just acted in the car. i'm still baffled by what just happened.

he is walking a few meters in front of me, which is really friendly. makes him seem so approachable. i'm actually annoyed. why does he think it's okay for him to speak to me like that?

he starts heading towards a group of about five people.

"hey." i snap at him from behind him.

he turns to me.

"aren't you supposed to be taking me to the reception?" i say to him.

"follow the signs." he shrugs, about to turn around again.

"hey." i snap, again.

he rolls his eyes as he turns back to me.

"what the hell was that?" i say. "in the car?"

his jaw clenches, and he walks up to me. "keep quiet. there's a reason i said that in the car and not in front of the entire school."

"because you'd look like a complete maniac if they saw the way you just spoke to me?" i question.

he pauses. "my mom said you were shy and polite." he says. "thought you'd just stay quiet and do as i say." he says.

my eyes narrow. "you thought wrong." i say.

his jaw tightens and he looks over his shoulder to his friends. he sighs. "this way." he says, directing me into the school.

there are lockers lining the walls and students stand chatting in groups and carrying books through the halls. he makes a left down another hallway, then he takes me to these big double doors which say RECEPTION at the top. i don't say thank you to him for taking me. he wasn't even going to take me here in the first place.

before i could go inside, he grabs my wrist harshly.

"um, ow?" i say to him.

he doesn't let go. "don't tell anyone about that." he says to me quietly. 

"i thought we established i'm not going to do everything you say?" i look up to him. 

his jaw clenches with frustration. "I just want you to respect my privacy." he says.

i nod. "well start respecting me, then i'll respect your privacy." i tell him.

he let's go of my wrist, and pushes the door open for me, even though his eyes show pure fury right now.

"thank you." i say sarcastically, walking inside.

he closes the door behind me and walks away, leaving me in the reception. well what a nice guy.