Chapter 89 - Can you just leave me alone?

Note:

- Man, my life is a mess but I'm kind of back

- the song is quite lighthearted considering the heaviness of the chapter lol 

- Also I'll try to write as much as I can but no promises

- (SPOILER: I'm gonna try to quickly resolve... this because I don't like conflict for too long so don't worry. I'm no good author)

- The story of two cowards~

- The exchange was meant to be a lot angrier but it turned sad instead. My bad. depresso things

----------------------

Previously:

That one night made Nero's week slightly better but as mentioned before, it turned completely unsalvageable by the end of the week because of one, single day.

Because on that one Friday, Nero witnessed the one thing he hoped, he wished, he prayed to never see.

And that was Sydney and Leo kissing.

--------------------------

POV: Nero

Let's rewind and explain how I got to that point. I was just simply being a good employee, where I finished off the document that needed to be done ASAP. And then as any good employee would do, I told my leader who told me to take it to the CEO because he's a smug bastard who has the unnecessary need to play matchmaker between us two.

Yeah, that put me in quite the awkward position as I had technically been trying to avoid Leo as of late. Not that he knows that though. Actually, I had been feeling slightly guilty for being a stone cold rock for the past couple of days, even if Leo hadn't noticed it. So I had made up my mind to catch up with him properly for a couple of minutes when I went up. We're pretty good friends and he seems to be cool with leaving some time for me, regardless of how much of a mean, sarcastic bastard I could be sometimes.

With a hefty sigh, I go to take it to the big boss.

Which lead me to witness the dreadful scene right in front of his office, next to Cindy's desk (conveniently, she wasn't there).

Sydney had her arms around Leo's neck as she pulled him down to his level. His face wasn't clear from the distance I was at but it was not of any sort of displeasure. Surprise maybe?

Delighted surprise?

Point was, Sydney was basically eating his face and he was just... letting her? His hands were also situated on her waist, which was quite incriminating.

That's consent if I've ever seen it.

I was frozen mid-step, facing paling at the sight I had been witnessing. In a matter of seconds, I felt my heartbreak. No, I felt my heart shatter into unfixable pieces. I felt the first of many waves of grief wash over me, drying up my mouth and causing my head to throb. A piece of the shattered piece was stuck lodged in my throat, leaving a lump that feels as if it would never leave. While I was in hard denial and truly believed that Leo would never see me in the romantic sense, a little part of me had hope and assumed that we had something. That Leo... saw me more than just a friend.

That little part of me has been trampled along with my heart.

It felt like death and it choked the breath from my lungs and wiped out my brain till it only replayed the awful scene, over and over again.

Once you're shattered, there was only emptiness to feel the holes and I was going to experience it once again after many years.

Once again, I felt inadequate, especially for you.