Chapter 29 - Are we there yet?

POV: Nerovsky

What I wouldn't do for a smoke right now. As I waited for the Uber outside the building, clearly in a gloomy mood, I analysed the sky to kill time. It was more or less clear but if you looked further in the distance, you could notice the dark clouds drifting our way. Of course, the only day I fight with my best friend is the day the weather decides to be like, let's make yourself more miserable and rain when you're out of work. I bet my non-existent social life that it was going to rain.

Someone moved to stand next to me but I gave my attention to my shoes instead. I miss Aiden already. Should I have been so harsh? But he won't learn otherwise! We need to understand that his action just put a shit ton of attention on us and we possibly could've been in the police precinct, under investigation. Well then again, the police in this area are quite incompetent so maybe I may have overestimated their abilities just then BUT he talked back to Ms. Whore semi-mayor. He could've easily just been fucked over because of that. He's lucky she was too flustered to think about anything... well except going to the mayor's house and getting down on him... Aiiddeeennn. I released a sorrowful sigh and looked back out to the streets again.

"So it's safe to assume that the blue-haired company of yours was your best friend?" The voice was recognised immediately and swivelled my body to face the person next to me.

"Leo! I mean Mr Covell. What are you doing here?" I couldn't be bothered to hide the surprise in my tone but I did try to hide the delight. I thought I did a pretty good job (he did not do a good job).

The other man chuckled at my genuine shock and answered, "Well, I was going to my car to go back to MegCorp when I saw you standing out front, quite dejected. So I came here to check up on you. Now that I answered yours, will you answer my question?"

My forgotten depressing spirit came back and possessed me again. I answered his question with a depressing undertone. "Ah right. Y-Yeah. That would be my best friend, Mr. Aiden Hendrix."

Boss sir looked at me with a concerned frown etched on his face and he leaned a bit forward as if to find something by really staring at it. Any longer and my face can cook a fucking egg. The man hesitated for a second before quietly asking, "Are... are you alright? I was going to introduce myself to the infamous dodgy best friend but I uh well we saw you two arguing. You both left each other looking pretty sad, like you guys broke up or something..."

We? Who's we... oh right Erwin the asshole was with him. I should really stop calling him an asshole. I don't have a grudge against him or anything. Along with sad eyes and a tiny smile, I nervously scratched the back of my head. "Well, honestly speaking, no I guess I'm not alright. I can't really take breaking up (I create quotation marks with my fingers for breaking up) with my dodgy best friend well. It doesn't happen often so when it does... it sucks. Especially since it's only him who I have." With the realisation of my unintentional confession, I rapidly put on a more cheery face, adding on, "And I don't know why I told you any of that. Sorry for my unnecessary rambling. Your time is precious after all. And besides, I'm ok enough to go to work so you won't have to worry about the quality being affected."

Leo's concern was still written all over his face but his frown had softened up. "It wasn't unnecessary rambling Nero. I asked for it and I wanted to know as much as I could. So it was appreciated. I got to know a bit more just then."

A shy smile appeared on my face and I quickly looked away so he didn't catch it but it was too late. A satisfied smile formed on his face and I ignored it (because he looked and I'm a simp). "Thank you for asking though," and look at my phone. "My Uber is arriving in about 3 minutes. You should uh go back to work. The boss shouldn't be late after all."