Chapter 81 - How oblivious can you be?

POV: Aiden

So... we fucked up.

Years on the job and finally, our carelessness (well mine really) had finally got us in trouble.

As a wise man once said on the internet, we've dun goofed.

Two hours and a bit before...

"COFFEE RUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN­–!"

*WHACK*

"Fucking ow. Why'd you hit me?" I rubbed the back of my sore head and felt tears forming in the corner of my eyes.

"Why the shit are you screaming coffee run in the middle of the day, in the middle of the street?" Nero's face mixture of embarrassment and annoyance, which made me want to irritate him even more.

Because that's what best friends do.

"BECAUSE WE LOVE COFF–"

*WHACK*

"OK I'M SORRY. Fuck." I'm pretty sure I was bleeding at the back of my head.

"I should've just gone straight to the office," Nero grumbled out like an old man.

"Well, sor-rey for trying to cheer you up under this gloomy weather." The grey clouds that were half blocking out the sun shifted so there was no light seeping through. It seemed I had offended them.

"It's the fucking morning. I'm not a morning person. You know that nothing would cheer me up at this time of day, especially not your high pitched screaming."

"Oi, my shouting is not high pitched."

"Yes it is."

"No it's not."

"Yes it is."

"No it's not.

"Oh look it's Starbucks."

"Ooh where?" I frantically looked around for the overpriced stored like a store and a sweat drop formed on Nero's forehead due to my ability to lose interest in something so quickly.

When the store met my sight, I skipped through the entrance while humming. After all, it was Nero's turn to shout this time.

15 minutes later...

"I have no idea how you can down that concoction without vomiting rainbows everywhere." We finally got your caffeine and headed towards Nero's workplace to drop him off. He was looking at my drink with mild disgust as he took sips of his boring drink.

"I don't know what you have against a little sugar. It makes life a little bit sweeter. Probably explains why you're so moody all the time."

Nero ignored the jab and returned a deadpan look. "THAT isn't a little sugar. An ice cinnamon dolce latte is not a little sugar. It is diabetes in a cup."

I raised my plastic cup in cheers. "I'm here for a good time, not a long time."

Nero eye-rolled but don't think I didn't notice his lips twitch up.

A comfortable silence fell among us as we walked down the semi-hectic pathway. The silence was quite common between us whenever we meet. It'd be surprising to anyone who ever heard our conversation over the phone but it might be due to the fact that we know everything about each other and there's really nothing else to talk about. But the silence was never awkward and I really appreciated that. It told us both that we were always comfortable with each other and didn't need words to get along all the time.

"So did you and Erwin hook up yet?"

Seriously, never take silence for granted. Ever.

I punched Nero's shoulder and looked back at the front. "Why are you so adamant– I have not hooked up with my boss. I will never hook up with my boss. You asking everyday will not make it more likely that I will hook up with my boss."