Chapter 19 - What are the living costs for Alaska?

Reminder again:

- I have no idea how the corporate world works. Like no knowledge. So I'm going to make shit up and it's gonna work. That's all.

- This chapter is short because the previous two were long and I'm tired

-----------------------------

POV: Nerovsky

After Leo answered all my queries, I basically went home quite dandy because one, I didn't lose my job, two, I got to see Leo one on one which really quenched my thirst for a month and three, I think we're like friends now? I don't know but it was never explicitly mentioned but surely he doesn't normally have meetings with an employee with scotch on the table... right? Regardless, the thoughts of our status weren't enough for me to keep me up at night. I had crashed in bed as soon as I reached home. I guess was still drained from the day before. 

I went to back to work the day after (A/N I should mention that the dispute between Beatrice and Nero happened on a Tuesday), being completely refreshed and actually looking forward to what is to come. As soon as I entered the 29th floor and my presence was noticed, I was immediately crowded upon by the multitude of staff, being asked what happened two years ago. Matthew, Mason and Pearl all but suffocated me after literally jumping on me. They continued screaming and shouting at me for ignoring their mass texts they sent from the previous days and how they thought I had died.

When they found out I was completely alright and still had my job, they shifted their interests into knowing all the details. I had refused, stating that I needed to actually work but Matthew just straight up said with a deadpan face, "You're not working today. You're telling me the story and you're getting paid for it."

I couldn't really argue with that.

Mason and Pearl tried joining in on the fun (as well as other workmates of whom I've never talked to), stating that they're my SELF DECLARED best friends and had the right to know. It didn't work so they told me to tell them during the weekly bar night, which they set that day. Matthew wanted to join after finding out about our plans but was brutally shut down by the two, hurt Twiddle dee and Twiddle dum. The word annoying was going through my head the entire day and night on that Thursday. Oh, right I should probably mention what happened to Beatrice. Long story short, she got a shit ton of backlash from the internet and I heard she was getting dropped by her friends left, right and centre. I did feel bad for her, honestly. No one deserves the amount of hate she was receiving. Her last update was some apology video on YouTube. She didn't apologise to me though.

Anyway, the following weeks, my life started becoming normal (well as normal as can be) once again and I started going back into my weekday routine.

Which brought us to exactly two weeks after the Beatrice incident. It was my break, meaning I had about half-an-hour to get something from the coffee shop downstairs. I was on the main floor and walking towards the coffee shop. The chairs had been replaced and the scratches on the marble had been promptly removed. Even the front desk had been replaced with an even fancier version of the previous design. I was whistling idly while thinking of the order I should go for before I heard an unrecognisable voice call my name from behind.

I turned around and came face to face with a somewhat familiar lady. She initially just studied me with a frown, as if to analyse every part of my body. Wait, wasn't she with me from the new employees' orientation thing. Yeah! She was the chick who was simping over Leo and mentioned how they were childhood friends or something. Lily or Leah was her name I think. She kept glaring at me throughout the day...

She appeared to be done studying me and put on a pretty but the FAKEST smile of the century. Like it was as fake as Barbie's hair. She put her left hand out, signalling me to return the handshake. "Hi. I'm Leah Grove. We've met before on day one."