Chapter 66 - Is that who I think it is?

Note:

- Because I kind of forgot about this story for a bit, you get two chapters!

- very slowly changing everything to past tense

---------------------------

POV: 3rd Person

"I thought we were meant to stay on the down-low for a while." Nero and Aiden were standing from the farthest corner of the club, hidden from the view of the target table.

Aiden gave a small shrug in response and continued setting up the listening device. "That was then and this is now. Plus, it's only this assignment and then we're back to being under the radar."

"What's so special about this that we must risk exposure and arrest? We don't usually mess with the mafia because they've got more in their arsenal." Usually, when Aiden demanded something or said something, he stuck by his words and never changed them. So you couldn't blame a guy for being curious as to why he's breaking the logical idea of hiding.

"Well, it's not special per se... just urgent."

"Urgent how? Are they going to kill someone or something in the next two hours?"

"No, I'd consider this worse," Aiden whipped out his phone and told me to point the flashlight from my phone in his direction. He then topped up his makeup which confused Nero all over again because he thought they were there to do a mission, not to get laid. "It's worse because they've – they being the Killuc family – managed to create a lethal drug. It doesn't kill you but gets you mad addicted and drives you to insanity as it's a side effect, to the point of suicide. So technically speaking, they're committing mass murder without committing firsthand murder."

"Well ain't that a big yikes," yes I know, I'm insensitive. Sue me, Nero thought to himself. "The drug must take them to Narnia or some shit."

"Something like that. It's called Substance S for now – standing for suicide – and it's just being released into the public. We're here to stop distribution before it gets bigger and out of the control of two individuals."

"Right... so what are we exactly doing tonight? A drug bust or something? And why are you here? Am I not capable alone?" Nero knew that his best friend thought he was more than capable but it's nice to stress the guy out whenever he could.

"What?! No, of course, You're more than capable at everything you do. It's just this one you can't do."

"What? Why?" Now Nero was kind of offended.

Aiden shoved the demon vessel's shoulder. "I'm getting there, stop interrupting me. We're not here on a drug bust but for information gathering. Everything I told you is all I found out. They've managed to keep secret on where the distribution spots are as well as where the drug is being produced, along with many other things. They probably did all interactions on this matter verbally or written because there's no trace of it online like at all. So, we're going to be information scouting."

Nero nodded in acknowledgement but his previous question had still remained unanswered. "That still doesn't explain why you're here or why I can't do it alone. I've done information gathering for you before you know."

"Because my friend," Aiden wrapped one of his arms around Nero's shoulder and pulled him into a side hug. He manoeuvred them so they were facing the Killuc table. "See that man over there?" Aiden pointed at the young-looking man with a white suit and golden bling wrapped around wherever there was an ounce of skin. The stale brown hair and neck tattoo of something (hard to see from this distance) shined in the dim lights slightly. He had a lady on one side and a young adult male on the other, both arms wrapped around each shoulder. His company both were trying to seduce them into doing something more by rubbing his arm plus torso in a sensual matter and constantly whispering in his ears. There were a couple of older men sitting opposite of him, talking their ears out about something but the pointed man looked beyond bored and uninterested.