Volume 1 Chapter 12: Black & White

(Play Opening)

The opening ends to the view of the balcony café in the middle of Vale where Sun, Zeke, and Blake were seen last episode drinking tea.

Sun: Finally, she speaks! Nearly two days and you've given me nothing but small talk and weird looks!

Blake gives Sun a firm look as Zeke facepalmed.

Sun: Yeah, like that.

Zeke: Buddy, you randomly appear and followed us all this time, do us a favor. Shut up and let her speak.

Sun: Okay okay, I get it.

Blake: Sun... Are you familiar with the White Fang?

Sun: Of course! I don't think there's a Faunus on the planet who hasn't heard of them. Stupid, holier-than-thou creeps that use force to get whatever they want. Bunch of freaks, if you ask me!

Blake: I was once a member of the White Fang.

Zeke nodded his head accepting the reveal as Sun promptly goes cross-eyed and chokes on his drink, making him put it down and wipe his mouth as he holds up a hand to process this information.

Sun: Wait a minute, you were a member of the White Fang?!

Blake: That's right. I was a member for most of my life, actually. You could almost say I was born into it...

The scene shifts to a simple silhouetted flashback of fallen weapons plunged into the ground - swords, guns, any number of combinations.

Blake: (off-screen) Back then, things were different. In the ashes of war, the White Fang was meant to be a symbol of peace and unity between Humans and the Faunus.

The audience is shown the dark outlines of two trios - animal-eared and tailed Faunus on one side, regular Humans on the other - shaking hands and making peace after their struggle. This does not last long, as seen by a white Faunus cowering in fear of the gray-and-black aggressors harassing the hybrid. Later, more Faunus are pushing the crowd away from their bullied brethren.

Blake: (off-screen) Of course, despite being promised equality, the Faunus were subjected to discrimination and hate. Humanity still thought of us as lesser beings. And so, the White Fang rose up as a voice of our people. And I was there.

Silhouettes of Faunus protestors are revealed, and emerging from the shadows is a young girl with dark hair and cat ears.