Volume 2 Chapter 4: Painting the town

(Play Opening)

The opening ends to the overhead view of where "A Minor Hiccup" ended: In the deserted alleyway with a graffiti-marked dumpster as Penny reveals her secret to Ruby and Jackson.

Ruby: Penny, I-I don't understand...

Penny: Most girls are born, but I was made. I'm the world's first synthetic person capable of generating an Aura. I'm not real...

Ruby Takes Penny's hands in her own

Ruby: Of course you are. You think just because you've got nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts makes you any less real than me?

Penny: I don't... um... You're... taking this extraordinarily well.

Ruby: You're not like those things we saw back there. You've got a heart, and a soul; I can feel it! Right Jackson?!

Jackson: Yeah yeah, that's right. I'm just gonna need a minute...

Jackson fainted where he stood, falling backwards as Ruby was able to catch him before setting him back down on the ground

Ruby: Jackson!

Penny: Ooohh... oh Ruby!

She grabs Ruby into a hug and shakes her back and forth.

Penny: You're the best friend anyone could have!

Ruby: (Muffled groaning.) I can see why your father would want to protect such a delicate flower!

Penny: Oh, he's very sweet! My father's the one that built me! I'm sure you would love him!

Ruby: Wow. He built you all by himself?

Penny: Well, almost! He had some help from Mr. Ironwood.

Ruby: The General?! Wait... Is that why those soldiers were after you?

Penny: They like to protect me, too!

Ruby: They don't think you can protect yourself?

Penny: They're not sure if I'm ready yet... One day, it will be my job to save the world, but I still have a lot left to learn. That's why my father let me come to the Vytal Festival. I want to see what it's like in the rest of the world, and test myself in the Tournament.