Chapter 3

Kyohsi woke up to a pounding in her head, she rolled over to see Rangi doing her hair in the mirror. "Good morning" Rangi called as soon as she saw Kyoshi in the reflection. "Morning"

"Is Jinpa here?" Kyoshi asked, sitting up. "Yeah he came by about an hour ago, he said he would check in later" Rangi explained calmly.

"Why didn't you wake me up, I am so late!" She said frantically trying to get ready. "Cause we cleared your schedule today" Rangi replied. Kyohsi narrowed her eyes. "You cleared my schedule?"

"You currently aren't in the condition to do anything remotely diplomatic." Rangi almost laughed as she spoke.

"So what am I supposed to do all day?" Kyoshi groaned. "Now that I have two schedule masters, who have cleared my schedule"

"You could come with me if you'd like," Rangi offered. "Today should be one of my last sessions anyway."

Kyoshi's brain froze at the thought of the healing hut, a certain part of the previous night came back to her head. Did Rangi really go through with that? She so desperately wanted to ask her but something about this moment just didn't fit. But was there really a good time to ask your partner if they had another relationship while you were apart from one another?

They walked out of the hut together, their steps synchronizing. Without even thinking about it Kyishi reached out to take the firebenders hand. Only to have Rangi pull away immediately. Kyosh's face flushed. It was moments like this that she wished she was wearing her makeup.

They glanced towards each other only to look away the following second. Right, Kyoshi thought to herself, not in public. Never in public.

"You know starring doesn't make it go any faster" Rangi commented once she was in the healing tub. Kyoshi looked away, glancing to the floor, then back to the ceiling. She bent some water out of a cup nearby around her head in an attempt to cure her headache. Was now a good time to ask? She thought. But then something else, a new thought entered her mind.

Could she have stopped this? If she was stronger. If she was faster. If she was more decisive. If she was better Rangi's mother wouldn't have gotten hurt, then she never would have had to make the trip up here, and then this wouldn't even be a potential issue. If only she was stronger, she had to get stronger. Suddenly the levitating water came splashing down as her focus broke.

"Do you need someone to come in?"

"No," Kyoshi replied, trying to refocus. "I need to be able to do this on my own"

She bent the water out of her tunic and back into the air. If she had to get stronger, she might as well start here.
As they sat there in silence, Kyoshi tried again and again, only making slow progress. But her mind kept drifting, she tried to recall the name the guy had mentioned the night before. But she was drawing a blank.

She finally bent the water back into the cup, turning to look at Rangi who looked like she was bored out of her mind.

"So how many more sessions do you have left exactly?" Kyoshi asked. "Just one or two, why do you ask? Is there something you want to do in mind?" She replied, raising her eyebrows.

"I have to go to the air temple to replace a clay duck," Kyoshi responded flatly, her response baffling the fire bender. "I'm sorry did you say replace a clay duck?"

"Yeah, I have to go and replace a clay duck, care to join me?"

"Hmmfff, you really think I'd let you go anywhere without me. Rocks for brains." Her laugh was so light, like a feather drifting through the sky, Kyoshi thought.