Chapter 32

The group met everyday for the next week on. Each time going through what may happen, what possible path was best. If they should reclaim the towns now or after. Or go after the portal first. The only thing that seemed clear is that there wasn't a sure answer. Not one that they couldn't think of anyways.

"Did you see the message from the fire lord?" Wong said as he held up the scroll with the royal seal. Kyoshi just groaned as she let her head thud on the table.

"I already have to shut down a portal, now you're telling me I still have to be a diplomat too" She mumbled, still face down on the table.

"Well the towns that are being overrun are all just in the fire nation so far, so it makes sense that he's heard something" Rangi chimed in as she took the scroll form Wong.

"I really don't like that guy" Kyoshi commented as she picked her head up from the table. "Too bad you can't just kill him, '' Kirima jokes, earning a death glare from Rangi.

"Kidding" Kirima shot her an innocent smile in response. "You can't kill without cause, and I don't think just not liking a guy counts." Rangi replied.

"Okay well didn't you like almost beat that girl Koulin half to death, because you just 'didn't like her' too" Kirima added air quoting the last part.

"Not the point"

Kyoshi smiled at the sight of Rangi and Kirima squabbling, it was always entertaining for one. But it also reminded her of when they first joined the group, Kirima and Rangi still bicker the same.

That afternoon Kyoshi decided it would be best if she went off to meet with the fire lord and just get it over with.

"Just make sure you talk to the right fire lord." Rangi commented as they made their way to the palace. Kyoshi tried to shoot Rangi a look as they were walking. "I know what he looks like... now. I just hope we aren't meeting on a balcony. Be a shame if someone starting throwing tables off it again"

"That was one time," Rangi said, immediately defending herself. Kyoshi found herself only laughing as they found themselves at the front gates.

They were led into the depth of the palace, passing by one luxurious room after the next. When they finally reached a council room that was way too big for a simple meeting.

"Ah Avatar Kyoshi, how lovely of you to finally come to discuss this new little disease that is spreading through my nation" He spoke as if she knew that it was her fault. He doesn't know anything for sure, he's just bitter as always. Kyoshi thought to herself.

It was then that the firelord caught sight of Rangi. "I wasn't aware that you would bring a guest."

"It's her job, where I go she follows"

He raised his eyebrows at the statement, "You really need a bodyguard here? This is a confidential meeting."

"Never can be too careful, besides you have your guards so I don't really see a difference" Kyoshi responded calmly as she took a seat, gesturing to the men posted around the room.

"Do you not trust my men?"

Kyoshi looked over to Rangi hoping she was hearing this too. "Lieutenant Rangi is fire nation trained, graduated among your highest ranks, I see her just as important and capable as any number of your men. So she stays." Kyoshi shot back.

She'll be the first to admit that she was not the fire lord's biggest fan, but she was trying to be open minded. Because in the end it was his people who were suffering, considering that asking if Rangi's presence was necessary was not a great start to keeping Kyoshi's respect.