Chapter 6

The following days Kyoshi's focus soon turned to her training. But more than usual. She started to hyper focus on her progress. Where she was, and where she needed to be. How much she has to do if she wants to help the fire nation. Which she needed to be able to do as the avatar, but more importantly for Rangi. She knew how important her home was to her. Which only made it that much more important to Kyoshi. She had to get stronger.

One dewy morning as she was training Rangi walked up to her with a determined look in her eyes. "I'm ready to try fire bending again. '' Kyoshi was surprised. She had always wondered when Rangi was going to attempt firebending again. Or if she had already and just didn't tell her. Apparently not, cause here they were.

"Do you need a minute? I can leave if you want," Kyoshi offered. "No, it's fine. I want you here"

Kyoshi took a couple steps behind her as Rangi took a deep breath. As much as she tried only a thin shaky flame came forth. Kyoshi stayed silent. She tried again, a slightly larger flame burst forth producing as little heat as the last. Kyoshi watched as rage started to fill the fire bender, as she tried over and over again while Kyoshi remained completely still. 

It hurt Kyoshi to watch as Rangi struggled. But something was off, and Kyoshi had a feeling that firebending wasn't going to happen today. Either way Kyoshi didn't want her to push herself too far before she was ready. But would Rangi really stop before that happened?

Possibly an hour had passed, and nothing had changed. Rangi wasn't going to stop.

"Rangi that's enough" Kyoshi said, but Rangi barely acknowledged her continuing to try and produce a steady flame. "Rangi stop" She walked up behind her, forcing Rangi's arms to her chest. "Nothing is going to change if you try one time or fifty more times"

"You just need some time. '' Listening to those words Rangi never felt more defeated. Her knees fell weak, as she stayed balanced in Kyoshi's arms.

"I was sure... I was sure" She mumbled as she turned burying her face in Kyoshi's chest.

"It's okay we can try again later" Kyoshi tried to explain, Rangi didn't even listen. "I was sure, I was so sure"

Kyoshi's heart aches for Rangi, and what she must be feeling. She knew what it felt like to have no control over your own power. How confusing, how irritating it is. How helpless you feel. She wished she didn't have to endure it.

Days passed with little progress. Day after day Kyoshi stood and watched as Rangi tried again and again. "How about we meditation, like with the candles?" Kyoshi offered quietly. Rangi stopped for a second. Considering the idea.

"I remember you had me do it for hours, and hours. So many hours really... but I think it could help" Kyoshi explained, trying not to fumble over her words. "It's worth a shot"

Rangi pressed her lips together, but nodded as she turned to follow Kyoshi into the temple.

Kyoshi rummaged through a basket until she found some candles, and began to place them in front of a meditation cushion. Neither one of them spoke as they sat down. Rangi looked worried as she turned to look at the candles then again at Kyoshi.

Kyoshi gave an awkward look as she leaned over to light the candles. She felt stupid for not doing it sooner.

She watched as Rangi began to take deep breaths, slowly but surly the flames started to quiver, then grow.

The flames soon fell into pattern with Rangi's breathing. Kyoshi just sat there awkwardly, not wanting to close her eyes.

As time passed the flames seemed to continue to follow seamlessly. Kyoshi started to wonder if Rangi was easily able to control the already lit flames, then why did she still struggle to produce a flame on her own?