Chapter 10

The visions of the man standing in the burning building flooded her mind that night. Over and over again, she swore she could taste the smoke in her dreams. She opened her eyes slowly, looking around the dark room.

Rangi had curled up beside her, breathing gently. Kyoshi exhaled, trying to fall back to sleep. But every time she shut her eyes she saw him standing there. His voice, his voice echoed through her head repeatedly. She knew she had heard it before.

When the sun peeked through the window, Kyoshi still laid awake, she had now given up sleeping that night. What was the point? It would only be filled with his voice, his presence, and Kyoshi couldn't bear it. She had to get out of here, she had spent too much time in hospitals, forced to stay in one place. There were so many other things she should be doing right now, and laying in a hospital bed wasn't one of them.

As she slid Rangi off her shoulder, and slipped back into the smoke scented robe from before. "Rangi" She nudged her shoulder slightly before coughing. "Are you hurt?" She mumbled. "What no, I just need to go into town today." Kyoshi replied.

"Okay just give me a minute"

Rangi began to pull herself out of the cot, and Kyoshi started to braid her hair, securing it with a ribbon.

"What's that smell?" Rangi asked, pulling her hair into her usual top knot. "My robe," Kyoshi replied.

"That reeks, what is that?"

"The smoke from the fire, definitely wasn't normal"

"Far from it," Rangi replied, walking back up to Kyoshi. "You can't leave here smelling like that, you'll take the whole town out."

"Okay well I'm not spending any longer in this hospital, it's driving me crazy. I just need to get out of here."

"But you aren't leave smelling like death"

"I'll just run back to the house and then we can head to town"

"You don't think you'll run into any number of people who will see you on the streets,"

"Rangi I can't stay here" Kyoshi replied, starting to push past her to the door. But Rangi jumped in front of her, blocking the doorway. "I'm not letting you wander the streets smelling like a corpse." Rangi said, looking up to Kyoshi.

"I'm not going to be wandering the city, I'm just going to get some clean clothes and-"

"Not leaving," Rangi said, placing her hands on her hips. Maybe this was a tad dramatic on Rangi's part, but she liked to tease Kyoshi the slightest bit, and she knew she wouldn't try anything. Plus she wasn't actually lying about the smell either. "Rangi move." She replied, mirroring her movements.

"No."

"I'm not staying here"

Before Rangi could snap back at her there was a knock at the door, to which she answered quickly. "Jinpa, what are you doing here?" She asked, letting him in.

"Lady Hei-Ran wanted me to bring this basket of stuff over for Kyoshi" He replied, setting the basket on a chair. "What's that smell?"

"Why I'm hostage in this room." Kyoshi replied, shooting a look at Rangi. "I think you may have saved the city Rangi" Jinpa replied with a laugh.

"It's not like it was my fault I-" She couldn't finish her sentence before she began to cough uncontrollably. Rangi tried to have her sit down for a minute til her coughing subsided, but she refused using the wall for a bit of extra support. "Bastards" Kyoshi mumbled under her breath.

"Will this work?" Rangi said, holding up a red robe from the basket. Kyoshi blinked blankly a couple of times, she couldn't remember the last time she wore red, not that it really mattered.