Chapter 20

(Earlier that morning)

The sun was just peeking over the horizon as the group rose. Kyoshi watched as the group swiftly packed everything up. The only thing remaining was the coals from the fire.

She closed her eyes, she knew that Rangi was here waiting for the moment when she could pull her into the bushes and scold her for leaving so haphazardly. She never thought she would look forward to getting yelled at.

"So is this gonna happen or what?" Wren's voice cut through Kyoshi's thoughts. "Exactly what I was thinking," Kyoshi said, beginning to lead the way to the clearing.

The stones were the same as she remembered, each engraved with one of the four nations symbols. "We'll sit here" She instructed as she sat on the stones, taking a fan out of her sash.

Kyoshi began to walk Wren through a basic meditation she had been taught by the monks, praying that it would work, by any means. She had been thinking about it almost endlessly now, how she was going to get her across.

The harder she tried the more she was sure that it wasn't going to work. This was a stupid plan, she thought to herself. But just try another minute. She repeated to herself.

It was then she felt the shift, opening her eyes to see a field of green with trees that would only ever exist in one's imagination. "Wren?" She called out looking to see if the woman was able to come with her across.

"Took you long enough" A voice called. The avatar spun around to see the waterbender before her. A wave of relief washed over her, so she had done it after all. "Welcome to the spirit world" Kyoshi smiled slightly.

Wren didn't reply, she just turned around and set off walking deeper into the forest. "Hey where are you going, you made it across. I think that proved the spirit connection enough." Kyoshi tried to reason, now getting excited as ever to leave and find a way to make her escape.

"We're here aren't we? I wanna take a look around first."

Kyoshi rolled her eyes. "Okay sure, but I don't feel like the boss would be happy if we're gone too long. He might get jealous"

"Oh he definitely is, he probably just wanted to make sure you didn't kill whoever you brought over first" Wren replied, still walking, although Kyoshi wasn't sure where to yet.

She shrugged. "Fair enough"

The woods felt like they parted at their path, as they moved through the trees.Kyoshi was unsure of how long they were there, but she figured it didn't matter that much. Surly not that much time had passed right?

Rangi pushed forward again, slowly peeking out of the bushes to see the large engraved stones. Then stepped out into the open.

"What the fuck"

There was no one there. No one. No noises. Nothing.

"Lets' not jump to any conclusions yet, let's just take a look around first." Jinpa said. The small group began to further into the open, approaching the engraved stones. Something is not right, this is wrong. Very wrong. Rangi thought to herself as she looked around the stone column with the air symbol engraved on it.

"Maybe this is the wrong spot?" The other firebender suggested. "There are a couple of Yangchen's meditation spots aren't there?" Jinpa asked.

"No you're wrong" Rang commented shortly.

The other's started debating the logistics of whether or not it was the correct spot. Asking Rangi if she still had the note that they could refer to.

"This just may not be it, she could have never even been here for all we know"

Rangi scrunched her nose. "Then why did we see the coals? It looked like a camp had been set up." She argued. "I mean it's a good place to stop for any travelers, it may just be a coincidence." The girl offered. "But that's not true."

The rest of their conversation feeding back and forth all blurred together for her, but Rangi was done arguing. "Fine believe me or not, just go and let the others know, and go back home for all I care" She shouted. Finally reaching her limit, she felt like she was losing her mind. This was where Kyoshi was said to go, wasn't it? She was sure it was, this was the right place. Something had just happened. She wasn't crazy.

"Lieutenant we should all go back together-" the other firebender began.

"I DON'T CARE, JUST LEAVE ME BE" Rangi yelled as she produced a brilliant flame. She had enough control to not hit the people who had decided to help her, thank Rava. But then something caught her eye, as the flame extinguished.

"I'm not fucking crazy" She muttered under her breath as she walked to the center of the stones. The firebender crouched down and began digging slightly in the stones until she found the item that had caught the light of her flames. "I knew it"

"Find something?" Jinpa asked as he cautiously walked closer to the firender. "She was here."

The monk tilted his head. "How'd you figure that?" He questioned. Rangi rose to show the item that was crammed in the stones. "Is this a clear enough sign that she was here?" Rangi asked, holding up one of the avatar's golden fans.

His eyes widened, looking from the fans and then back to the firebender. Who now looked as though she was about to break. None of them spoke for a moment, as the fan stayed tightly clutched in Rangi's grasp.

"You realize how bad this is right?" Rangi asked quietly. Jinpa gave her an unsure look. "She would never leave these behind, but she knew it would probably be the one thing we would recognize"

Jinpa looked down at the stones. "So she didn't leave by choice then" He said, the only thing Rangi could do was shake her head. "She must have done it in case-in case of the worst case scenario."

As the monk stood there with the firebender, he became aware of the concerned looks they were getting from the rest of the small group. "We'll head back tonight, there's nothing more we can do here" He said as Rangi remained silent.

The group nodded and turned around without a word, leaving the monk and firender alone.

"She'll be okay, I'm sure she just wanted to make sure you knew that she was here. Probably figured that you would drive yourself insane otherwise." He spoke softly. "I'm sure she's fine"

Rangi squeezed her eyes shut, opening them only to expel a single tear. "But I know she isn't"

She let the tear fall, now walking by the monk without another word following behind the group. It felt like a million thoughts raced through her head as she trudged through the woods.

"You better be fucking okay Kyoshi" She whispered to herself before joining the rest of the group as they started their journey back. Even though her gut told her the opposite.

Well... this chapter made me kinda sad but oh well its all for the plot I guess. Anyways hope you enjoyed this kinda short chapter, a new one will be out soon! Also thank you for 4k reads, that's incredible!!!