Chapter 26

Rangi glanced out of the window as she was stirred by Kyoshi moving in her sleep. Even though the room was quite dim, Rangi was still able to make out Kyoshi's face as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.

Kyoshi started to thrash again, like she always did when she had nightmares. Rangi's theory was confirmed when she heard Kyoshi's mumbling in her sleep.

"-knew you would be mad" She mumbled.

"Kyoshi..." Rangi called softly trying to wake her.

"I'm sorry" It sounded like she was going to start crying at any moment. "Kyoshi, you're okay" Rangi called.

But Kyoshi just kept repeating those two phases, again and again. "Kyoshi, you're okay. You just need to wake up" Rangi called again, this time reaching over her to shake her shoulders as hard as she dared.

Suddenly Kyoshi bolted upright causing them to hit each other's foreheads in the process. When Rangi went to look up at Kyoshi she had hardly even left the state she was sleeping in. The only reason why Rangi actually knew she had to have been awake was that her eyes were open, and darting around the room frantically.

She quickly returned to mumbling apologies over and over again. "Kyoshi..." Rangi began as she made her way next to Kyoshi on the bed.

"Kyoshi, can you hear me?" She called out softly. Reaching up to wipe a tear from Kyoshi's face. Finally Kyoshi made eye contact with her. She's back now.

"I'm sorry" Kyoshi huffed once more, her breathing suddenly picking up. "Hey you're okay, do you know where you are?"

She looked around a second, the room was barely lit up by the amount of light from above the horizon. "The hospital," She replied faintly.

"Do you know how you got here?" Rangi asked, trying to say anything that might distract her.

"You brought me here"

"I did, we came here yesterday with the Flying Opera company. Kirima and I were the ones to bring you inside though." She continued to explain as she felt Kyoshi rest her head on hers.

"We met Kenna, she's the one who wrapped you up"

Kyoshi went quiet again, even though her head stayed resting on Rangi's she could tell something was still bothering her.

"Do you wanna talk about it? Your dream" Rangi asks, trying to move closer to her. She didn't see any point in asking if she was having a nightmare, she knew well enough what was going on. There was no need to dance around the idea.

"They were so mad at me" Suddenly Kyoshi jerked her head away, and started pulling on her hair, hard. Rangi had hardly ever seen her do this, maybe once or twice at the most. She normally has her hair pulled back, maybe it helped with any temptations to pull it. She contemplated, before snapping out of her train of thought and refocusing on Kyoshi.

"Hey don't do that" Rangi said, pulling Kyoshi's hands away, resting them in her lap.

"Who was mad at you?" She asked, keeping her hands on top of Kyoshi's.

"Everyone!"

She looked down, "Everyone was mad at me." Kyoshi admitted, her hands tightening into fists. 

"Well I'm not mad at you" Rangi tried to argue, still not aware of what Kyoshi was so set on people being so mad at her about. 

"You probably will be," Kyoshi looked back at Rangi, with a sad look. Rangi didn't know what to say. "So will my past lives, and the air nomads, and everyone else. Once they find out it was me..."

"No one is mad at you right now." Rangi argued once more.

"They will be"

Rangi frowned, she was getting nowhere. They could probably keep going like this all day. "Kyoshi" Rangi called, pulling Kyoshi's  hands down once more from her hair. She hadn't even noticed when she had started pulling at her hair again. "That's enough of that for now okay?"