Chapter 22

She woke in a dark room, her hands bound with iron. Kysohi looked around frantically. She had recalled making the decision to come back with Wren from the spirit world, then felt like she had nearly blinked, and now she was here.

""What's going on, who's responsible for this" Kyoshi called from the cold room.

"Finally awake now are we?" A voice called as the door opened. Naruklok walked through, though the room was poorly lit she could still make out the mask.

"What's the reason for this, I brought Wren over to the spirit world just as you asked. I have done nothing wrong" Kyoshi protested. He must have moved my body while I was in the spirit world, Wren's whole act of wanting to look around was probably just a part of the plan to keep me distracted for longer.

"Nothing yet, but I needed to ensure our success. So once we do that you will be free to go."

"So then what's the real plan? You want me to draw spirits out one by one to provide power for your armies," Kyohis said, starting to raise her voice.

"Not exactly, I know your powers have limits, and the fifth nation needs to be limitless."

Kyoshi felt like a rock had dropped in her stomach. "Then why get me involved at all, if I'm not limitless?"

"A portal"

"A portal?" Kyohis repeated.

"We will require you to open a portal or more stable sear between the two worlds, then you will be free to go" She could tell he was grinning under his mask.

Kyoshi felt her face fall, giving them unlimited access to a portal would be disastrous, probably the single worst thing that she could hope to do to remedy the problem. He could have rein over connecting to spirits at will, the balance between the two would be completely shattered. And it would all be my fault.

"How did you even figure portals can be created in the first place?" She asked, rolling her wrists in the iron cuffs.

"An older spirit, father glowworm I believe was the name of it, tore some portal holes before, but they have long closed now. It's how some of the older members such as myself found spirits to link to. So we know it's possible, but we need another energy source to fulfill the task of opening a passage again."

"I'm not opening a portal" Kyoshi said bluntly, suddenly she felt the swing of a mental bar hit her shoulder. "You will comply eventually"

"And how do you intend to do that? You probably used some of your gasses to keep me unconscious long enough to get me here after me and Wren returned, and it's the only thing you have. But I can't to shit for you if I'm unconscious dumbass" She shot.

The man pulled a small lamp, lighting it with a match letting the lantern. He watched the intrigue in Kyoshi's face grow as the match went out and the lamp lit up.

"I know what you're thinking, you probably think you could manipulate the fire, and escape. But the walls, nonetheless, are crafted out of metal, and are also coated in oil. If you try and firebend, you will go up in flames before you get the chance to get out"

Kyoshi gritted her teeth,  when something else caught her eye. The man appeared to remove his mask. "You were the one from the meeting. Fucking coward" She mumbled the last part under her breath.

He didn't seem surprised by his recognition. "The one who dishonored his brother's name." She continued, he only laughed in response.

"So what was with the mask anyways, I don't see why it was a big deal to keep it a secret. I hated you then and I wouldn't say much has changed."