Chapter 4

The sun peeked over the horizon as Kyoshi started to load up Pengpeng. "So you're really all good to go?"

"Yes Atuat gave me the all clear yesterday" Rangi responded, hopping into the saddle.

"So no more problems, you won't bleed out on our way there"

"I'm fine, no more problems."

"And you're sure"

"Yes Kyoshi, now get up here before we leave your 6'6 ass behind" You could almost see the steam leaving Rangi's face.

"So you destroyed a clay duck," Rangi said, changing the subject as they took off leaving the vast lands behind them.

"Yes I thought we went over this, I destroyed an air nomad artifact that happens to be a clay duck, and now I to replace it blah blah blah" Kyoshi said duly.

"You know the southern air temple was where I was hired to work for Kyoshi in the first place." Jinpa said from the front of the bison's head.

"That's right, I forgot about that, it feels like you've been around for longer."

Over the time Jinpa had spent by Kyohsi's side he had become more like family to her. She had grown to like having the monk around. Most of the time.

"Yes, taking that job was both the most honorable and most taxing job I've ever taken." He said jokingly.

Not his again. Kyoshi thought.

"Jinpa" Kyoshi began. "You know you were kinda a mess before I met you, not that all that much has changed since then. But I like to think we're making progress."

"Jinpa I swear" she knew this could be the start of one of Rangi and Jinpa's gang ups on her. "Or what?" She tried to shoot him with an intimidating look.

Rangi scanned Kyoshi's face carefully. "I will get you monk," Kyoshi whispered. "Try me," Jinpa whispered back with a grin.

She knew that ever since the exchange of letters between the two, Jinpa now always had one move on her and he knew it too.

The longer they flew the ice soon turned back into fields of grass and trees. The temperature, growing warmer by each passing minute.

"Well ladies, welcome to the southern air temple" Jinap said as they started their descent. Rangi almost looked confused at the sight of the temple. It was so peaceful, so different from the fire nation. "Different isn't it?" Kyoshi whispered. Rangi nodded as she continued to stare off at the scene below.

As they landed, Kyoshi unloaded what little luggage they carried with them, and started to talk to some of the monks she had met on her last visit.

"You are not leaving me here on top of this 10,00 foot mountain," Rangi whispered, grabbing Kyosh's shoulder, causing her to drop the luggage.

Kyoshi laughed lightly. "Come on, I'll show you around,"

Their arrival had drawn quite the crowd, Kyoshi couldn't even manage to pick up the bags she dropped before they were swooped up from the ground.

They were first shown their rooms, Kyoshi was in the same one as last time she was here not too long ago. "You two have rooms adjacent to each other, I hope that alright." One of the monks as she gestured to the two different rooms.

"Actually there's no need for two Rangi and I can just..." Rangi kicked her in the back of the leg. "Thank you" Rangi said bowing. "This is extremely generous"

They had spent the rest of the evening touring some of the grounds. After dinner they went back to their rooms. But that question kept weighing Kyoshi down; she couldn't take it any longer. She just couldn't forget, she had to find out if it was true Kyoshi thought as she started to strip down her layer of chain mail as Rangi quietly entered.

"I thought you wanted separate rooms", Kyoshi said partially joking. "Come on, you know I didn't mean that?"

She expected to get some kind of reaction from Kyoshi but nothing. She just continued to take her hair band out.

"Kyoshi, is everything alright?" She asked, trying to take her hand. But she just let it fall as she walked out to the balcony, Rangi following at her heels.

They stood there in silence for a few moments, staring off at the setting sun. "You know the air nomads don't care who you like." Kyoshi started. Rangi just let her talk, not knowing exactly how to react. "They just except it all, no matter who you are or where you come from"

"Why are you telling me this exactly?" Rangi asked.

"Because well..." Kyoshi tried to stall thinking of how she was going to word her next sentence. "You just mean a lot to me but I don't know if..." She turned away, wiping the sweat from her palms.

"You don't know what?" Rangi asked, trying to comprehend what she was saying. "It's just that..."

"It's just what?"

"I know you had some sort of relationship... thing with that girl from the water tribe."

Rangi was stunned, she had tried so hard to get that night out of her head. "I'm glad you had someone I guess, '' Kyoshi said, sniffling. "I wasn't there, and your mother was hurt and I left you all alone." walking away. "Kyoshi..." Rangi called weakly, grabbing her wrist. "I swear nothing happened"

"Nothing? Then what did happen?" She asked, still not facing her. She didn't respond.

"Rangi what happened?" Kyohsi said, finally turning around. Rangi couldn't even begin to find the words, she was utterly stunned. Unable to move.

"I need some space," Kyoshi said, turning to leave, closing the door behind her. Not even giving Rangi a second glance.

Rangi fell to the floor, crying uncontrollably. Why could she say anything, why did no words leave her lips.

Hours passed as Rangi stayed curled up on the floor. The ends of her sleeves now soaked in tears.

Kyoshi walked back into the room with an armful of books, and scrolls, not even noticing that the fire bender was still there as he set everything down. She had assumed she left.

"We started hanging out while my mother was healing." Rangi said gathering the strength to get up, Kyoshi spun around quickly. "There was this time where things weren't looking well, and well she was just there" Right Kyoshi thought that girl was there, and she wasn't.

"She would stay around most of the late nights, and..."

"And?"

"One night she asked to hang out at her place, and she offered me a drink And I may have ended up having more than one." Kyohsi was confused, that was so unlike Rangi to accept a drink, let alone more than one.

"I don't want to lie to you... there was one time she tried to kiss me but I swear I stopped it as soon as I realized what was happening." Rangi explained quickly.

"And that was it? There was no after?" Kyoshi asked. "No, I swear Kyoshi I would never do anything to hurt you." Kyoshi stayed silent, but didn't try to move away. "But this did hurt, why did you feel like you had to keep this from me?" Kyoshi asked, getting a long trail of silence once again in return.

Silent tears streamed down Kyoshi's face as she turned to return to the room sitting down on the bed.

"A part of me didn't want to accept that it happened, I just wanted to bury it deep down inside, and never have to think about it again." Rangi explained. "I didn't want to have to deal with the mess I made...  but it was all my fault. I'm sorry."

"Rangi you can trust me" Kyoshi said, flopping back down the pillows. "I know, but you have to know that something else happened that night..."

Kyoshi shut her eyes til they hurt, expecting the worst. "I realized how much I really need you Kyoshi, not some random girl from the water tribe, I need you, only you"

Hey guys! I hope you are all are having a good day, and I hoped you enjoyed reading this chapter. I have to be honest this is a bit out of my normal writing element but I'm still gonna try to write a decent story😂. Anyway let me know of any comments, or suggestions! Thanks again for reading!!!❤️