Chapter 34

A couple of days pass and they have everything in place to set off. They had picked out the town they would use to stake out in and gather any additional information. Then they would leave to close the portal, and with Kenna's help Kyoshi was almost positive she could close it. Considering they get it weak enough first.

They planned to leave early the next morning. Both Rangi and Kyoshi were rushing around before they took off. But here they now were an hour away from their departure time and Jinpa still couldn't tell who was more on edge.

They had everything packed, so Kyoshi had rushed back inside to do her makeup and grab some last things.

She applied the pale base and red eye makeup all she had to was the black eyeliner. The first time the line was crooked, Kyoshi wiped it off semi frantically before trying again, and again. With her hands were shaking she must have tried to paint the liner on 20 times before she felt a tap on her shoulder.

Kyoshi looked up to see Rangi's unimpressed look in the mirror. "It's fine." Kyoshi said shortly, as she tried again. Her hands were even shakier than before as she drew another squiggly line.

Kyoshi left out a huff and she wiped it off roughly again, starting the process over again. As she tried to bring the brush up once more to try again, Rangi caught her wrist mid air. "Would you like some help?"

Kyoshi turned around to look at Rangi face to face. She was sure that she would have had something to say about her doing her makeup, she always did. Kyoshi could only guess what she had to say this time.

But she didn't say anything as she sat down in front of Kyoshi, the makeup brush in hand. Before long the silence started to annoy Kyoshi as she twisted the rag in her hands.

"You are not going to say anything?" Kyoshi asked impatiently, looking down at the rag.

"Do you want to be pestered with questions right now?" Rangi replied as she tilted Kyoshi's chin down. "I don't know. But it looks like you have something to say."

Rangi sighed, "I guess I was just thinking"

Kyoshi frowned, "About what? You probably think this is a waste of time before we leave, don't you?"

The fire bender gave her an unimpressed look as she tilted Kyoshi's head more to the side. "I don't think it's a waste of time, but I still can't help to wonder why?"

"Why what?"

Rangi rolled her eyes, Kyoshi was really gonna make her say it. "Why you always wear the makeup. I've been asking for years and you've never given me a clear answer. I think you can be plenty scary without it, I mean like you can freeze someone's lungs in seconds. " She took a breath.

"I also don't think it's because of your parents, but that was just my impression. Is it because of the flying opera company? I guess I could see that-" Rangi had stopped her sentence short as she caught Kyoshi's gaze. Perhaps she had over analyzed.

"That all?" Kyoshi asked, trying to take her brush back from Rangi and place it with the others.

Rangi nodded as she watched Kyoshi look over the finished eyeliner in the mirror.

"Why does it matter so much?"

"That's not an answer, that was another question, rocks for brain" Rangi interrupted. Kyoshi only laughed.

The fire bender crossed her arms, they were literally about to leave for a mission that could determine the fate of the fire nation and Kyoshi was dancing around the subject without a care in the world. Like they had all the time in the world.