Chapter 31

After all of the excitement Kyoshi had made the decision to flop on the grass, watching as the clouds above crossed the sky. She felt the weight of Rangi's head on her chest, her breath rising and falling.

If only we could pause the world and stay here.

The colors started to shift in the sky, Rangi took this as a cue that they should probably head home. The firebender sat up nudging Kyoshi beside her.

Offering Kyoshi her hand, Rangi helped her stand. Kyoshi didn't drop the firebender's hand as they both now stood in the forest. She held it carefully kissing the top of her hand.

"They're going think we're missing" Rangi commented as they began their walk back.

"Maybe" Kyoshi shrugged. "But I've done worse than disappear for an afternoon"

"That's not funny" Rangi exclaimed.

Kyoshi only laughed, "it kinda is, plus it true"

Rangi shook her head, "I really am marrying an idiot"

"You're the one who said yes, and then asked me for yourself so..." Kyoshi replied, smiling smugly.

"And I'd do again" Rangi laughed

The town was much more quiet as they walked through. There were no longer floods of children running through the streets. There were some merchants still at their stands lit by candles. Kyoshi had felt like there always was a somewhat warm feeling to the fire nation. But maybe that was just the company.

As Rangi pushed the doors open they could hear the sound of echoing voices from down the hall. Happy voices, maybe arguing actually.

They rounded a corner entering the kitchen to see the flying opera company in all their glory making a mess of the kitchen. Kirima had situated herself in a chair with a bag of fire flakes, with her legs propped up on the table. While Lao Ge was at the other end, watching Wong engulfed what food he had found happily.

"Your snacks suck" Wong said through a mouthful of food. Rangi's face twisted at the sight of Wong spitting food from his mouth like a child as he talked.

As Rangi went to grab the food from him, it was then that he saw the ring. Dropping the bag immediately he sprinted over to where Kyoshi stood grabbing her hand. "What the hell Wong!" Kyoshi yelled as she pulled her hand back.

"I knew it," He exclaimed. "What are you doing you're going to knock her over" Rangi yelled, going to defend Kyoshi.

"They got engaged you guys!" Wong yelled happily ignoring Rangi. Kyoshi felt her face heat up, sure she knew they were going to tell them. But like this? It was a little embarrassing being beaten to the punch.

"Ha you all owe me lunch for a week" Kirma almost cackled at her victory.

Rangi did not look impressed. "You were betting on us?"

"Well yeah of course, I bet that you would be engaged no longer than a week after Kyoshi returned." She explained.

"The others bet longer, but I knew it wouldn't be long after you got back," Kirima said, looking at Kyoshi.

Kyoshi only laughed, "So what are you all doing here anyways?"

"Why would we care about that now? We want the story" Kirima demanded, ignoring the question as resituated herself.

"You sound like a child," Rangi commented coldly.

"Really topknot you wanna go there? We have watched you two be all in love with each other for forever, and when something good finally happens we miss it. So yes we want the story. We're too invested now." Kirma said shortly.