Chapter 21

The ride back to the fire nation city felt to have lasted an eternity to the fire bender, although they were unsure of their next move when they would finally arrive.

When Rangi finally dismounts, swinging her small bag over her shoulder, she doesn't even want to think about meeting her mother right now. She knows what the first question will be. Where's Kyoshi?

She instead walks into a great hall where the soldiers and guards meet. If she wasn't going to talk to her mother she might as well finish up the paperwork for the soldiers she had come with on her very unsuccessful mission.

"Oh lieutenant back so soon?" A guard called as he approached her. "Yes, things didn't exactly go as planned but the paperwork still needs to be turned on does it not?" She said not looking up from the papers.

"Well you know the boss is in right now, so I'm sure you could just go talk to him. Save yourself some time." He offered.

"Of course, thank you" Rangi bit her lip as she left the forms on the desk and proceeded to the head of security's office. Not looking forward to revealing the deals of the trip that had ended in failure. "Great I have to make my failure public"
She mumbled.

"Here to give your report I presume." The man called as he entered his office. Rangi nodded as she went to take the seat in front of him. She began to explain the travel logistics of the trip, like how they got, when they left, boring stuff like that. She was trying to steer away from the purpose of the trip.

"You know I was quite surprised when I saw your request." He said clasping his hands together. "Yes well it was expected that we might have been greeted with a group of an unknown size."

"Who was the group"

"Just some people who want to start another fifth nation."

"So did you deal with them then, are there any injuries I should take into account."

"No nothing to note"

"So then it was successful?"

"No, we going after the Avatar in hopes to aid her from the time she had spent with the group"

"So my men really let them get away, that's shameful. I trained them better"

"It wasn't their fault, we- we never found them"

He raised an eyebrow. "Did you get the location wrong then"

Of course it was my fault, Rangi thought to herself. "No things just changed."

"Well, is the Avatar back then at least, I'd like to speak with her about the trip."

Rangi bit her tongue. "No she wasn't there either. Like I said it was unsuccessful" Rangi said looking down. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have some other work to do if that's all you need for the report."

"Of course,"

Rangi nodded as she headed for the door. "Just make sure you know more about your missions first from now on, like whether or not people will be there" He called.

"It wasn't all my fault. She was supposed to be there" Rangi said before shutting the door.

"She was there though," Rangi muttered to herself.

As she continued to walk she only encountered more people asking about the outing, to which she tried to give the same blunt answer.

"It wasn't really your fault, I mean like she is the Avatar she's fine. I'm sure there is nothing we even need to worry about." Someone from the mission as Rangi joined them, alongside Jinpa.