Chapter 8

The night was mostly silent as they both laid there in bed asleep. The wind was ever so slightly blowing outside, but other than that everything was still.

All of a sudden Kyoshi started turning in the covers, enough so that she woke up Rangi. Who turned over to Kyoshi trying to see if she was alright.

She was breathing deeply, beads of sweat covering her face as Rangi tried to shake her awake. "Kyoshi..." She whispered. But nothing changed, her breathing only quickened as she started to thrash, as if she were fighting someone. "Kyoshi you're okay" Rangi said shakily, not fully sure what was going on.

Suddenly Kyoshi's eyes fluttered open with a blue glow. Before Rangi could do anything she was thrown out the bed, as a orb of wind surrounded the avatar.

Not good, Rangi thought. She tried to grab a pillow and throw it in Kyoshi's direction but it was too light and just went in the other direction.

Slowly Rangi climbed back on the bed, and was able to reach Kyoshi. She made her way beside her, taking Kyoshi's hands, to ensure that she didn't start bending any other elements in her sleep.

"Kyoshi you have to wake up, everything is okay!" Rangi yelled over the sound of the wind howling around the room.

She tried again to shake her awake. "You're safe, Kyoshi you're safe!"

Suddenly the wind stopped as Kyoshi fell limp in her arms sobbing. Rangi pulled her closer once she was sure Kyoshi was awake. "Everything is okay, you're safe" She tried to reassure her.

Kyoshi sat there shaking, looking around the room frantically. "Rangi?" She stuttered. "You're okay, I promise. You're safe Kyoshi"

"But... those people... and you..."

"Everything's okay" Rangi tried to reassure her again.

Kyoshi placed her hand on Rangi's cheek which she leaned into. "I'm okay, nothing happened. It was just a dream" She smiled dimly.

She nodded as they laid down again, Kyoshi taking Rangi's hand under the covers. "It's okay, just try and get some sleep." Rangi whispered, kissing the top of Kyoshi's hand.

Eventually Rangi was convinced that Kyoshi had fallen back asleep, but she couldn't have felt more awake at that moment. She knew Kyoshi had some experience with nightmares in the past, but to trigger the Avatar State? That ment that she must have felt like she was in some real danger.

Rangi turned to look at Kyoshi sleeping beside her, her breathing patterns more stable than before. "Kyoshi..." Rangi whispered so quietly she could barely hear the words leave her own mouth.

She knew this wasn't the first time, but Rangi also knew this wouldn't be the last either. Just let me take some of this weight off your shoulders. Rangi thought as she tried to close her eyes once more.

Rangi felt reluctant to ask Kyoshi the next morning what she was dreaming about last night. She kept trying to piece something together, something that could have triggered the avatar state.

"I know this can't all be easy for you" Rangi began as they walked down a hallway that seemed to stretch forever. "What's not easy?" Kyoshi replied.

Rangi paused for a moment trying to figure out a way to word this right. "All this spirit stuff, it's a little too close to heart, don't you think?"

"Yeah a guess it isn't it?" Kyoshi let out a faint laugh, but it sounded sad to Rangi. "I know I've told you not to blame yourself for what happened, but you're still allowed to feel sad about it" Rangi explained, trying to test so see if this could have possibly been what the dream was about.