Scream Machine

Audrey's POV

"Okay, over there. There we go..." Charlotte muttered to herself under the tarp with something that I couldn't make out. I was standing by the monitor and watched as Henry played on his phone.

My dad walked into the room with Schwoz. "Okay, I'm here. What's up?"

"Uh, Charlotte wants to show us the new project she made for the Gizmo Show," Henry explained, pointing to the tarp and shutting his phone off.

"Gizmo Show?" I repeated. I had no idea what that was.

"What's a Gizmo Show?" Schwoz asked, looking at Henry.

"Oh, it's this huge competition they have every year where kids bring all kinds of cool machines and inventions they've made and they show it to the—" Henry was interrupted by Schwoz yawning. "I'm sorry, was I boring you?"

"Yeah, a little bit," Schwoz answered, rubbing his eyes.

Henry rolled his eyes. "Okay."

"No, he's tired 'cuz he hasn't slept in two days." My dad explained, shaking his head as he looked down at his phone.

"Yeah, but Henry was also being boring." Schwoz corrected, pointing at Henry.

"True."

Schwoz yawned and walked over his tools, scooting me and Henry away.

"Why hasn't Schwoz slept in two days?" Henry inquired, turning over to my dad.

My dad looked up from his phone. "'Cuz he was binge-watching that mini-series about OJ."

"Mmm, the one about that big trial from the nineties?" Henry asked, crossing his arms as he spoke.

"No." Schwoz shook his head and looked down at his tools.

"The one about orange juice." My dad corrected.

Schwoz put his tools down. "Yeah, it's calling, 'OJ: From Farm to Glass'."

My dad tucked his phone into his jacket pocket. "Hey, you see the episode yet about how they remove the pulp—"

"Shh, no spoilers!" Schwoz pressed his palms on his ears. The elevator crashed and then dinged. Who could it be? Jasper's supposed to be upstairs.

Jasper walked out after falling. "Is it time to see Charlotte's thing?"

"Jasper!" Henry snapped, shocked and annoyed that he was downstairs in the Man Cave.

"You're supposed to be upstairs in Junk-N-Stuff, working." I reminded, crossing my arms at Jasper.

"Yeah, dude, what if a customer walks in?" Henry reasoned.

"Oh, it's okay I left a sign saying, 'be right back'." He informed us, shrugging as he walked closer to us.

"And... hello!" Charlotte stepped out from under the tarp and we all turned our attention to her. "As some of you know, for the past three years at The Gizmo Show, my projects have won the second place prize."

"Okay." My dad acknowledged, resting his arm on my shoulder which I knocked off.

"So interesting." Schwoz yawned and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him.

Charlotte shook her head. "All right. But this is the year that Charlotte goes number one."

My dad coughed to cover his laugh. "So you're gonna pee?" The boys began to laugh while me and Charlotte stood there, annoyed. They're so childish, and they're all older than me.

"She's going to pee!" Henry laughed, amused with the situation.

"Okay, can you guys stop and just be respectful?!" I yelled which made them shut up. Finally.