Live and Dangerous: Part 1

Audrey's POV

Today, everyone kept it light in the Man Cave. I was very grateful for that because, for the last week, I've been very sleep deprived. My eyes are hefty as we speak and it's getting way too hard to hide it all the time. I know Henry suspects something is going on.

Speaking of him, I was currently sitting next to him while we, my dad, Jasper, and Schwoz were filling boxes for the teenagers that ran away. I find the acts of compassion sweet.

"Pocket knife." I lift a pocket knife like I was displaying it, and threw it in the box.

It was now Henry's turn to put something in the box. "Succulent..."

My dad's turn. "Bag a' noodles."

Jasper tosses socks into the box. "Socks!"

"Binky." Schwoz places a pacifier inside the box.

We started to throw more items inside the package. When we eventually added everything in, I was relieved. Don't get me wrong, I love having a relaxed day, but this wasn't specifically what I had in store.

"All right," I reach for another box and put it on the table. "Pocket knife."

We go around the table again and when we finish, we all cheer and put the box in the pile of completed boxes.

The elevator door opens and Charlotte steps out with a smile. "Hey, guys!"

"Hey, Char," I replied but then remember that she was supposed to have dinner with her parents tonight. What was she doing back? "I thought you were having dinner with your parents tonight?"

"I did. I just came back 'cuz I forget my sweater." She grabs her sweater that was on the monitor chair and turns back to us.

I turn my undeniable attention back to the boxes. I put another box on the table and tossed a pocket knife inside it.

Charlotte stops us. "Uh, hey... what are you guys doin'?"

"Ah, we're putting together care packages." My dad clarified and threw a small plant inside.

"Mhm. And then we're gonna send them to the Swellview Home for Runaway Teens." Henry adds and puts a protractor inside. "Protractor."

"Mothballs--"

Charlotte puts her hand up. "Woah woah, hold up."

"What?"

"What now?"

"The Swellview Home for Runaway Teens shut down. It closed." She explains and I groan. Now I'll never get that five minutes back.

"Wha-- well what happened to all the runaway teens?" My dad asked for all of us. I look back at Charlotte and wait for her reply.

"They ran away."

"What!?"

"Dang it!"

"You've got to be joking!"

"I can't believe we wasted all this time!" I stood up and walked away from the table. After sitting there and wasting time, I don't think I'd want to sit there for a while.

"Well uh, maybe we can give this stuff to another charity!" Henry reasons and I look at him. I give him a small shrug, accepting his recommendation.

"No, no, what's the point? They're just gonna run away too!" My dad shouts and chucks a bottle of moth balls across the room, nearly hitting Charlotte. Okay, he's a little bit too upset over this. "Let's just throw all this junk into a dumpster!"