Episode- I. Gauri

"It is said that eons ago, when evil ventured the beautiful lands of mortals, spreading darkness and plague, terrorizing men, polluting the atmosphere with demonic essence in their wake, cries of mercy rang across the skies

"It is said that eons ago, when evil ventured the beautiful lands of mortals, spreading darkness and plague, terrorizing men, polluting the atmosphere with demonic essence in their wake, cries of mercy rang across the skies. The demons feasted on the flesh of young and chewed the bones of old. Blood and corpses flooded the rivers. Tormented souls wandered in search of a safe solitude.

As time passed, these servants of darkness, the powerful and rowdy monsters established their empire in the mortal realm. As greedy, they were, in a few years decided to strike the realm of lesser gods. The sudden outbreak took the gods by surprise and scared they rushed to the asylum of lords of the universe.

Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma

The lesser gods prayed and begged for their help. Hearing the weeping crowd and watching the chaotic armies of sinful fiends, the three concluded, they are otherwise powerless to overcome this. In the end, embodying their collective energy, they created a female who was derivative from the male divinities and the true source of their inner power. She was named Durga. Born fully grown and beautiful, with 8 to 10 arms, each holding a weapon of one of the gods, who gave them to her for her battle against the cruel army, Durga presents a fierce menacing form to her enemies. Sitting on the back of a lion, she assures the gods about victory and marches to the battlefield alone.

Her prowess was otherworldly, as she crushed the monsters beneath her feet, slew many using the sword, and pierced hearts with bow and arrows. Hearing her thunderous roars, a few fainted and a few ran away. The watchful king of monsters when saw this unknown adventuress cutting heads of his demons, lost his patience and jumped on the battlefield to finish her. Nobody stood against his army before, not even those gods. The scene of a heroine barreling against the army of thousands was unusual..."

"GAURI... GAURI..."

The sudden intrusion earns a round of profanities from the huddled group of children. They all turned away from their favorite storyteller and regarded the fussing elderly woman with a stink eye. The chubby woman was marching hurriedly in their direction with a mission. Her one hand was holding the front of her long skirt while the other was curled around a leather slipper. The storyteller under the banyan tree gasped in surprise and then screamed in shock as the old woman aims the slipper in her direction. Ducking low, preparing the line of kids as a shield, she ran away from the site and made a beeline towards the gentle river where she had kept three earthen vessels of refrigerant water.