Episode XXII- Nilgiri

The journey was protracted and tedious, but with each passing mile, her perseverance congeals

The journey was protracted and tedious, but with each passing mile, her perseverance congeals. The hope blossoming in her chest boosts whenever a footstone depicting the reducing distance between her and the destination passes. After making a few necessary stops on the way to avoid overheating the engine, her small entourage finally penetrates the lush green valleys of a breathtaking town situated at the foot of hills. All of them were exhausted due to three days continuous voyage.

Nilgiri Mountains is the house for over 2500 species of flowering plants and mammals like- the Bengal Tiger, Indian Elephant, Sambar Deer, Blackbuck, Golden Jackal, etc. Its peaks are above 2000 meters, the highest being Doddabetta. The hills are separated from Karnataka Plateau in the north by Moyar River, and three national parks border it. Numerous unbroken waterfalls attract tourists from every corner of the world, one of them being Kolakambai Falls of about 400 ft. Various tribes residing in the area contribute to national economy through tea and vegetable plantations. The strikingly blue color of hills is because of the clustered bloom of mass flowering species- 'Stobilanthes kunthiana', commonly known as 'Neela kurinji' in Tamil.

The flower is special as it blooms only once every 12 years and swarms the landscape with its beautiful hue.

Vasundhara's eyes took in the new surroundings from the open window. The heaviness on her lids slowly dissipated with the coolness of nature. Two cars ran on the uneven roads of the silent valley. The bodies of her companions and her jolts with every bump. She fiddles with her golden chain in tension.

"Hurry up. The sun will go down soon."

The driver nodded before stepping harder on the accelerator. The vehicle lurched forward with newfound enthusiasm. Thick tropical rainforests and thundering waterfalls welcomed them when they stopped near the steps of an old temple.

Collecting the holy articles she brought from home, the Queen mother steps out of her car and covers her head with the free end of her silk saree. Touching the first step with the tip of her fingers, she brings them to her forehead.

"Hail the mother of universe- Durga. Fill the bones of your pupils with strength so they cross this hard path easily."

She mumbled under her breath. The thought of crossing 1245 stairs to reach the ancient temple sent shivers down her spine. The old woman hopes to not see doors of heaven after the first 100. Two men followed her lead while the other four waited at the bottom of the hill.

By the time the three crossed 700 stairs, the sun was already down. Vasundhara was panting heavily and continuously wiping the sweat on her flushed face using a cotton kerchief. The strain in her muscles was unbearable. Her knees shaking because of exertion. Her heart was beating too fast that she felt it knocking against her spine. She wheezed and struggled to breathe regularly. One of the guards, took the big golden platter filled with holy items from her hands while another supported her swaying frame.