Episode XLVII~ Humanity

The tips of her fingers caress the back of his hand- gently, with compassion and a deep longing

He was close yet so far that her voice failed to reach him.

Kissing his knuckles, she releases the hand that pulsed with blood but felt no sensation.

A hollow chuckle escaped her lips and she shakes her head. When has he ever felt? Her devotion, love, loyalty, and sacrifices were all for a man who never felt anything for her. Maybe he did but was scared to show. Even a stone would have melted watching a woman selflessly catering to a house and trying her best to fit in. Maybe he chose to ignore it because if he had, they would have suffered more.

He was always distant and stoic, towering over people with wisdom and deep-sated bitterness that dripped from his tongue whenever he addressed someone, except for his son.

Raghuveer was many things but a bad father.

He eventually opened up and became a good husband. And the moment he showed little emotions in front of the world, the evil of the house swallowed him as well. Fate is a funny thing. Turning all the possibilities impossible. Dangling sweet fruits and serving the acrimonious amalgam of misery and tears.

Vasundhara rubs the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes, contemplating whether to hate him or fall all over again.

The man in front of her never gave her anything but stole her heart at first glance. How long does she have to fight to win one moment? A moment where there's only them. Just him and her. And the world around them is quiet to let them enjoy a moment of peace in each other's presence. Where he would smile carefree, and... she just stares, soaking in everything that he allows to slip.

"You'd be so proud if you see our son right now. He is working hard to take your legacy forward."

Vasundhara says as she runs her fingers through his grey hair.

All of a sudden, a thunder reverberated through the sky, breaking the little bubble of loneliness surging around her. She stands from her seat and looks out of the window with distaste. There was no indication of a hail in the tabloids or news.

Reaching for her phone, she calls the house help to make sure that all the doors were closed, only to discover that her daughter-in-law left moments ago to see her son with a trolley of food. Vasundhara's jaw dropped watching the symphony of the storm and ice-cold crystals in the atmosphere and immediately calls Yagya.

When he didn't pick up after the 7th time, she calls his secretary.

"Yes ma'am."

"Put my son on the phone." She composed the panic in her voice.

"Uh... ma'am, sir's busy at the moment. The meeting will last longer."

"Damn the meeting, Mr. Wadia. Give him the phone, it is an emergency." Vasundhara admonished and heard loud footsteps from the other side before the clear voice of her son reached her ears.