Episode LXXII~ Breaking the Spell

Discerning a change in the demeanour of the Old King, the Queen Mother turns agitated. As she asks her daughter-in-law to summon the guards, Raghuveer attacks them.

A shocked scream escaped Vasundhara when Raghuveer pushed her from the way and grabbed Gauri's bangles-clad wrist. Vasundhara landed on the soft carpet with a thud and stared at her husband in disdain.

What was he doing? What has gotten into him? Was he possessed like the Guard from yesterday?

A million thoughts bombarded the walls of her skull at once, making her lightheaded. She swallowed in apprehension and lifted herself quickly.

The glass bangles adorning Gauri's wrist broke under the strong hold of a furious monarch. A few glass pieces pierced her flesh, and some scattered on the floor pathetically. Gauri screamed in protest and struggled in the decisive grasp, trying to propel herself towards her mother-in-law rather than following the lead of Raghuveer. She has now collected that the man wasn't in his senses.

"Stop. Leave me at once!" She yelled while banging her fist on his arm and shoulder.

"Leave me, please. Father!" Gauri bellowed as she fell to her knees and tried to hold onto the nearby curtain from her free hand. Nevertheless, his strength was no joke. Despite being bedridden for the past six years, he was sporting a despicable vigour, one which might put the entire security to shame.

The curtain holder was brutally pulled out from the nails embedded into the ceiling along with the heavy curtains. Kicking open the door, he dragged her outside as she begged and thrashed, unable to gain her footing. She felt if she resisted too much, he would wrench out her shoulder.

But all those screams drowned deep in the pit of her belly the moment the hallway came into view. When the blazing fire of carnage collided with her awareness, she failed to douse it with her repentant tears. The once pristine corridor was coloured in a shade of sin.

Red

From the ceiling to the high walls, from the art pieces to the carpeted floor- everything was covered in red. Thick and metallic, it attacked her nostrils, and she gagged. The path ahead was littered with the bodies of the guards who were stationed to protect them. Now, they all lay dead in a puddle of crimson dripping out of their flesh. The bodies were decapitated the same way a spoiled child handles a doll.

A dry sob racks her chest as she slowly breaks threads of sanity. Her wide eyes were unable to look away from the massacre and her body swayed when Raghuveer overstepped the lifeless beings and surged forward while pulling along her weak frame.

Vasundhara came out of the room holding a wooden staff. She understood fighting him via fists was an idiot's handbook to succeed. She would never forgive herself if he managed to take Gauri tonight. Heavens, her son wouldn't forgive her. But her limbs went lax at the sight of the corridor. It resembled one of those gory scenes from bloody action movies. Gauri's screams of horror outlived Vasundhara's heartbeats.