Episode XX- The Old King

"What does he think of himself? Disrespecting an elderly like that

"What does he think of himself? Disrespecting an elderly like that. Wait till the words reach the Queen Mother. I am her handmaiden, not just any lowly maid. I have served here the longest and watched him grow up, changed his diapers, and wiped his snot. How dare he badmouth me for that village girl?"

Ambika gritted beneath her breath with clenched fists. Fury was settled on her brows as she contemplated the prior situation while making her way to the Chitrakoot Palace- The Queen Mother's residence.

The princess was long asleep in King's chambers. Just how happy would be the old woman when she gets this news? Her son finally accepted that sacred bond. Allowing his lawfully wedded in his private residence.

Rolling her eyes at the absurdity of the situation, she bites her lip when her mind wanders toward forbidden thoughts. She calculated what must have transpired to drive the girl in front of the locked Chandra Mahal and scream her lungs out, alerting everybody on the premises. If the words get out of the Fort, people will start labeling her with crazy names. Her unnatural stance still sent shivers down Ambika's spine. Whatever Gauri's disease or the nightmare was, it certainly did a number on everyone. They will whisper, spread rumors and add meaningless statements as witnesses. She needs to take care of that. The High Queen wouldn't be happy about this when she returns.

The situation must be dealt with after sunrise as soon as possible.

Nodding her head in agreement, she crossed the very enigma of everyone's fear- The Chandra Mahal. Bowing her head and not looking at the ancient dark structure, she hurried towards the burning lanterns on the doorstep of Chitrakoot palace, when all of a sudden, a gasp escaped her.

Her limbs froze and her body went rigid.

A second later, two dark hands with claws emerged from thin air and clutched her legs in a bone-crushing grip. Ambika could only pant feeling lightheaded and terrified to her bones. Her heart beating as fast as a fired bullet. Her throat constricted, unable to produce a cry of help as the grip tightened, blocking the blood flow. She stared ahead with tears in her eyes, not daring to see what evil lurked behind her.

Something sinister in a demonic voice was whispered in her ears, next a high pitch womanly scream rang in the area. Perspiration coated her like a second skin. She started feeling weightless and soon was lifted high in the air, her limbs spread like an offering.

"No,"

She whispered and slowly shook her head.

"No, this is not happening."

Disbelief shone in her eyes as she floated 7 ft high in the air. Her saree was pulled at. Her eyes started rolling back.

"STOP..."

The screech that left her lungs was stronger than the devilish hold and in the next second, her bony figure was hurled ruthlessly over the verandah of the Chandra Mahal. A crack resonated. The frail woman broke her arm and hip.