Episode XXXI- Come Home

"What is it?"

"What is it?"

A sweet voice filtered through the tense silence before two lithe arms wrap around his naked abdomen. He relaxed at the contact and silenced his phone.

"My father wouldn't leave me alone."

Raghuveer complained and she tensed. Her grip loosened and she started to pull away, but he held her arms and brought her in front of him. Clad only in his shirt, she was every man's erotic dream. Her long wild hair was tied in a messy bun. She looked different from that uptight version. Always stiff and alert. He leans to steal a kiss before lifting her onto his lap and presenting her with a hot mug of coffee.

"Good morning."

She hesitantly took it and sips slowly.

"Good morning." Her reply was not as enthusiastic and he knew why.

It's been three weeks since they dealt with Surya Narayan. The bastard was found guilty in court and got charged with sexual assault in addition to corruption and fraud. With a sentence of 13 years, Raghuveer doubted if the old man will make it out alive. He was sure that rats would feed on his rotting cadaver. Mandakini was healing slowly, both physically and emotionally. She still had nightmares and in the past week, he caught her strolling the living room at the dead hour of the night. She was anxious if Surya Narayan would sign divorce papers. She sent them to central jail two weeks ago with her signature at the bottom. The jerk had refused to sign right away. He was adamant to ruin her life but Raghuveer won't let that happen.

He would extract his signature anyhow, even if it took him to personally cut Surya Narayan's thumb and stamp it on the papers. Because in a matter of a month, Raghuveer was planning on proposing to her. Although, Surya Narayan wasn't his main concern. It was his father. The news of Raghuveer beating Surya Narayan and eloping with his young wife has spread like wildfire across the nation. Everybody knew about this and didn't waste another moment labeling them with colorful names, especially Mandakini. He didn't want to recall how many men or the corrupt business associates of Surya Narayan has come forward in the old man's support and revealed all the shenanigans related to the couple. They had barked how Mandakini married the poor man for money and when failed to earn sexual satisfaction, she often threw herself on his clients. Though the man was deeply hurt, he kept forgiving her.

Raghuveer wanted to snap their necks and cut their tongues for badmouthing a woman like that.

He knew Mandakini was none of those things and in fact, was a victim of someone else's greed.

When the news broke on television, she refused to leave their little apartment. Her paranoid mind restricted her otherwise sharp intellect to step out and fight this battle. But she was a broken woman who was going through cycles of mental angst. He couldn't force her into doing things that might permanently devastate her. For now, she deserved comfort and protection.