Episode XXXIV- The Wait.

Gauri's nostrils flared when she noted that the moon has risen in the sky, warding the heavenly elixir of the night against boundless darkness

Gauri's nostrils flared when she noted that the moon has risen in the sky, warding the heavenly elixir of the night against boundless darkness. Yet, there was no sign of her husband.

The silvery hue brightened the once-gloomy atmosphere and shrieks of joy could be heard from everywhere. The restless women in the palace, that have battled a long day without water and meal, jumped in elation. Dressed in their finest clothes, they prepared a platter filled with items to commence the next ritual. Dragging their husbands into open ground, they pointed at the celestial body and started praying. The husbands noted the exchange in amusement and supported their better halves in finishing the festival by breaking their fast. All men made their women drink water at the end of prayers, and with happy faces, they entered the Chitrakoot palace of the old queen, where a feast was waiting for them.

A brooding Gauri rushed around to see the arrangements and took her role as the host of the evening seriously.

Where Vasundhara was settled on a throne-like chair at the center of the main hall, watching her people enjoying the traditional delicacies, Gauri was yelling orders back and forth to the unmarried females. They were asked to serve the couples and make sure their plates are filled until they are satisfied. The Chitrakoot palace was ringing with positivity and laughter, something Vasundhara failed to register for a long time. She smiled lightly at the happy faces while fanning herself with a beejna {local name for hand fan generally used in the areas of Haryana and Rajasthan} to evade the sudden heat clogging her pores due to the slow rise in her blood pressure.

She was mad at her son for not being here on time. All the women in the household have broken their fast except for her daughter-in-law, for whom all the arrangements were made in the first place.

When Gauri informed her about the reason for his absence, her fury rose ten folds. He was attending a meeting with foreign investors rather than following his culture. The meeting could've waited but this can't. Deep in her heart, Vasundhara knew the main reason behind his uncaring attitude.

Such a festival held great value in his life once. He used to celebrate them with full devotion and share them with the woman he loved. But after her death, all these things seemed too materialistic and slowly, he lost interest, for such nights reminded him of a time when he was happy. The memories were always accompanied by excruciating pain. Still, for Gauri's sake, he must drink that poison and indulge himself. He can't lead the dynamism of a nomad anymore because someone has stepped into his life to keep him rooted.

Vasundhara's eyes then fell on Gauri, who was looking at the crowd with a smile despite the sorrow burning in her heart. All the ladies, including her mother-in-law, has broken their fast and she was the only one left behind. Poor girl must be tired and feeling faint. Unable to stop herself, Vasundhara called her.

"Gauri"

The girl jumped out of her daze and immediately rushed to see if the old queen needed something.