Episode XVI- The Ghost Case

"What do you think is happening in this Palace, Vikram?"

Sub-Inspector Radhika Vajpayee asked as she examined the crime scene with a poker face. Vikram, her junior tossed a peanut in his mouth in return and munched lazily. The constable was in his 50s and has often come across such matters in his 27 years of career. The lady inspector was a new addition, freshly appointed and unpretentious, still trying to wrap her head around this tedious occupation. Chewing another peanut, Vikram strolls carelessly, not minding the forensics and dried blood splattered on the marble.

"I can guarantee it is an animal attack, madam."

Radhika released a frustrated sigh and rolls her eyes.

"Yes, an animal who is capable of raping a female and then hanging her corpse 11 feet high in the air to a chandelier. Great!" She pointed in exasperation and walked towards the senior forensic officer who was taking pictures of the pattern of blood.

"Please tell me you've found anything useful and there's a DNA sample other than the victim's." The Inspector asked and the officer pursed his lips.

"I've been scouring the crime scene for the past two days, ma'am. Unfortunately, there's no other clue. A CCTV footage must have helped greatly but the recovered evidence contains static noise for 18 minutes after midnight. We have the scene of the victim entering the hall soundly and then hanging from the chandelier, but nothing in between. If you ask me, it is humanly impossible to conduct such an offense within 18 minutes. Look at these details and the amount of damage her body received is major. 17 broken bones, 32 deep gashes, and..." Radhika raised her hand to silence the man.

"Could it be an animal attack?" her whisper made him freeze and he nodded thoughtfully.

"Only if the animal is the size of a bear, who stands at 12 feet. This area is famous for such tragedies anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same beast that runs in the forest behind the Palace. I have seen multiple mangled bodies in the past three years, the count only increasing. Nobody has seen this animal but came across his footprints deep in the woods. It is massive. The forest officers had tried to eliminate him on multiple occasions by setting various traps but they didn't even catch a shadow. The beast is smart."

The officer stated while adjusting his glasses and Radhika blinked cluelessly.

"I am a new recruit and this is my first posting. Can't believe my first case is a ghost." The forensic officer smiled sadly, instantly feeling bad for her. The more she will know about this, the more her faith will solidify in almighty. This Kingdom was Cursed.